Transmission swap

Question for you fellas, I’ve got an tandem dump r model with a 283 Mack and a two stick 6 speed with 4.17 rears. The ol 6 speed is gonna be due some repair pretty quickly and I’m really considering pulling it and putting an 8LL in it. Be nice to have a couple more gears to traverse these hills where I’m at. My question is does anybody have the numbers or can point me in the right direction for the bell housing, clutch and driveshaft I’ll need? I’m assuming all those things would have to change. Thanks in advance 

Possibly frame crossmember(s) and/or tranny mounts too. I would think the best route to go would be to find an R6XX of the same model year as yours that is factory 8LL and use the VIN number from it. There will be other small details too like the clutch linkage and the cab floor access panel / shift lever boot. Possibly your puff limiter system if you have one is tied into your current Mack tranny. I don't think the Eaton equipped trucks came with the torque limiting valves....not really a big deal though. I have seen this same type of thread many times on here about swapping out a Mack tranny for an Eaton and they seem to never get resolution. It usually just starts out as someone asking what's involved but then we never hear if they ended up doing it and/or what the details involved were. I don't know if its because the guys end up realizing its too much work or if the cost/benefit just isn't there. Let us know what you find out.

Having driven a tandem axle with the same setup for some years, I would steer you away from a trans swap and into a Jake brake for faster shifts.  Your engine makes 90%+ torque across an 800+ rpm powerband. Extra gears are wasted on this engine.  The 8LL is designed for engines with a 4-500 rpm powerband.  Faster shifts, however, help you catch the next gear while you're still in your 90%+ powerband.  You'll also be giving up your multi speed reverse, which let's you crawl up a mountain or fly across soggy ground. 

But at the end of the day, you know your workload conditions and needs better than me. It should be a doable conversion if you have access to a good Mack junk yard.

We had to delete the engine brake on our 283 however, because one cylinder has a weak valve spring and the spacer that rests on top of the exhaust valve kept popping loose.  After the second time we pulled the Jake off. If you have 50-80,000 hours on your engine like we suspect our has, then you may want to replace valve springs if you add a Jake brake.

Edited by JoeH

On 1/18/2023 at 12:15 PM, 67RModel said:

Possibly your puff limiter system if you have one is tied into your current Mack tranny. I don't think the Eaton equipped trucks came with the torque limiting valves....not really a big deal though.

My old 89 RD688S was an E6-350 with an 8LL and had a puff limiter.  That random air switch on the dash wasn't tied into it though.....LMAO.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

• 11 months later...