CH613 EA7 410 using coolant no external leaks

Magilla
Go to solution Solved by Mark T,

G’day guys n gals,

I have a 1998 Mack CH613 EA7 410 with coolant leak. Had a a few codes read ‘17’ coolant low, after first noticing low in main tank ok in overflow. Started putting about 1 - 2 litres in main tank each morning, no external leak obvious. Truck sat idle over Christmas & new year. Just put about 15 litres in main tank, checked oil level, really high on stick but no sign of water in oil, no bubbles or milk appearance. Thinking head gasket but reading forum post noticed compressor is also water cooled. Appreciate any feedback, thanks.

Hunt down someone with a pressure tester and check the cooling system for any external leaks, then

If it's swallowed 15 litres sumps probably full of water. Best bet is to drain oil and pull filters to see what's in them. Then pull sump off, and pressure test cooling system, watch to see where the water runs from. Will give you a good idea of where to start.

If the oil didn't seem milky then that probably means it just hasn't been stirred up yet. Oil floats on top of coolant so you won't be able to tell by just checking the oil. 

Could be head gasket, cracked head, or a busted liner but I think it's best if you pressure or vacuum test the system. 

• Like 1

after the truck sits for a day, loosen the oil drain plug..  if there is coolant in the oil it will be at the bottom, and it will sneak around the threads of the plug before you remove it..  jojo

11 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Well Mark, if that's the case.... He is gonna need one of these..  or someone who has one..  I hope it's not that bad..  jojo

KIMG0956.JPG

You might want to go on a service call to the land of Auz Buddy!

• Haha 1

Australia is the only far away land I would love to see...........  I hope he finds a simple issue here,  Maybe the oil cooler went bad.  I wonder if there is oil in the coolant?  

too funny,,  It's not that bad, really..  of course my cutters are new and very sharp..  I only take .002" per cut..  It takes a bit longer but there is no fetching up to cause a washboard in the cut..  

• 1 month later...

Thank you all for your sound advice. I took off the sump and had a good look, found No 6 liner leaking. Took off head and bolts didn’t look good on strip down, sure enough exhaust gases have been in coolant journal, head cracked. Inspection of liners and pistons revealed the old girl needs a rebuild. 
Been searching for a remanufactured motor Australia wide since but no luck. Cost of parts for rebuild outweighs value of truck and can’t get a number of parts anyway, parts I could source, not including heads and cam shaft, amounted to nearly $40k before a spanned had even been lifted.

As a matter of interest Australian ex military Mack CH 2001 model 435hp tipper with low kilometres and hours sold at auction for $161000 not including 8.5% buyers premium plus registration and transfer cost, not much change out of $200,000.00 for a 23 year old truck.🤩 Not sure what things are like in the Northern hemisphere but second hand machinery here is still selling at a premium. Rolling the dice now searching for a second hand motor out of a wreck. 

You must be pricing your parts from a mack (Volvo) dealer. Waste of time. I priced PAI  Rebuild kit for etech late last year, $4500 and crankshaft for $5k. Depending where you are, there's a few blokes parting out engines, and a few good second hand ones around at reasonable prices, nothing anywhere near $40k

Screenshot_20230227-220217.png