673 C engine

1wonton

19 minutes ago, 1wonton said:

Have the 673 C engine (five speed transmission) in my B 61; Is this engine similar to the Maxidyne and/or will it handle low rpms like the Maxi?  

Is it a straight 5 spd, i believe that engine should be hooked to a triplex, quad series transmission.    terry:MackLogo:

The C engine is rated at 250hp, but it is a thermodyne and will need more then 5 spds.  Under a load it will really struggle to recover speed at 1100 rpm when you shift.  It needs to be around 1500-1600 rpm.  On a hill it will really hurt it.

I was really hunting for one of these motors to replace my old P motor for many years.  The 237 showed up and I went that way instead.  It has its own issues with being ahead of a Triplex(single countershaft transmission).  You can't lug it down to 1100 as it will try to spit the gears out.  So I drive it more like a thermodyne.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

It is not the original 673.  It is the EDNT 673C, 250 hp Turbo, mated to a five speed trans.  Seems to have lots of torque at 1100-1200, never really lugged it down to stall.  Just wondering how it compared with the Maxi from anyone's experience.