2014 CHU with an MP8, seems to be low on power and boost.

Have a mp8 thats just not right. Had boost of 39 to 40 lbs now only 35 max. Injector cups done not long ago, 30 k miles. Was in for service and coolant leaks and needed a egr cooler replaced .Next was Radiator as it was deemed to be leaking as well.  Seemed to run ok but a lil sluggish. Dealer pressure tested and found a leaky boot. It improved the boost to about 35 lbs max but not the original 40 psi. Still noticing a loss of performance and boost. Ocasionally I'd get an eats screen if the truck was started cold and air built slow. If i bumped throttle a bit and built air faster on warmup no alert. Also no code. Dealer cant find issue. Turbo replaced ,controller replaced, Egr valve and exhaust manifold were next. Still only 35 lbs of boost when i used to get a solid 40 on a cool morning .Dealer tested for combustion gasses in coolant, starts and runs fine/smooth but I can tell its not right. Need to linger in gears longer loaded. Also had previous issues with egr temp sensor going bad often, would lose a lil power before showing a code,  then noticeable derate when code comes active. Dealer claims they tried new probe , but no change. Any thoughts??

i'm thinking I need to stand over the techs as they are scratching their heads. The truck will be new if they keep relacing stuff. Not gonna pay for turbo or actuator or egr valve or manifold they broke the bolts in .I'm thinking could be an issue with cups or injectors. Maybe we start with leaks, ..... again and double check eveyrthing before moving to the next set of parts. Fuel pressure did cross my mind as well. no codes or cel debris or leaking fitting? sucking air or combustion gasses in fuel gallery?

Hahaha, yea you might just have to help point them in the right direction. God I hope you don’t have to pay for all those parts. Jesus….Yea start with the easy and cheap stuff. Really look over the charge air system, check fuel pressure, boost pressure sensor, fuel filters?

Coolant loss, leaks kinda point to a pressurized cooling system to start, no? They claim the egr was leaking slightly, Turbo actuator had a lil play and turbo had a very minor bind or change in effort in  its operation but neither made a difference when replaced, as the egr didnt have a noticeable effect when it was replaced. How can we narrow or test for bad cups or injectors if no codes?

first cooler, was in for a service and that popped up , then the egr valve and manifold upon subsequent returns

This truck is on it's 4th motor. bought it at auction and it had warranty from a rebuild. the third motor new from mack blew up with 900 miles and out of original warranty, chronologically,  but how do you not warranty a 900 mile boo boo. Took a lil wrangling and threatened a trip to the warranty office at corporate personally before they relented and shipped #4. When I put the #3 in they noticed it was deleted, after of course, and I paid for everything after the turbo, ouch23K. Hurt Mack more than ME though! What corporate dont know wont hurt them.

• Haha 1

Normally with a non-deleted MP8 33psi of boost is the max. If we got 35-40 the turbo actuator was sticking due to soot or not calibrated correctly.     Also have had soot clog the turbo and restrict the VGT vains on the other end and cause low boot. We have had Mack reman turbos right out of the box not calibrated or the turbo VGT vains not moving full travel. Possibly turbo boost pressure sensor caked with soot can cause weird issues.  Also the incorrect part number for the boost pressure sensor causes issues. If it were mine you Id have the turbo actuator remove and the stroke manually checked with gauge. I’ll attach pics . 

• Like 1