Leaking internal trans cooler on a 04 cx613 eaton 10

Larry H

Question

I  need to figure out what the best way to flush my transmission out after filling up with coolant. My trans cooler sprung a leak got one ordered,  but it pumped coolant into the tranny case to the point of pushing it out the breather valve and shifter tower. Found a service bulletin from eaton on the failure and said to use dexron atf to flush it but the procedure is in another bulletin I can't find. Gotta get this thing back on the road but don't want any residual coolant in there for fear of bearing failures.  Thank for any input I appreciate it!

5 answers to this question

I wish other manufacturers would follow Eaton Fuller and have free access to all their manuals and bulletins. Sheppard steering gear is another good company with free manuals and a good technical hot line.  TRW steering gear company also had manuals online however its been many years since I’ve checked to see if it’s still free. Bendix has a good website and Meritor/WABCO air drier did too last time I checked. . 

• Thanks 1

You could pull the floor pan , and remove the shift cover to flush it out. This will give you the opportunity to inspect it..  if this isn't to much effort..  about 2 hr. Job..  if you don't have a PTO tower bolted to the floor pan..  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys I appreciate it just got the runny pudding out hadn't been on here yet to see what to do with it.  You guys rock always got an answer for me. I whole heartedly appreciate it, dumped a bunch of money in it in the last 3 months just trying to keep my head above water right now. Thanks for the life preserver!

• Like 1

Yes sir..  I worked for a lot of guys with small budgets..  I would take the time, or extra time on diag. To be sure I wasn't just tossing parts at it.. a lot of my approach had been more diag, and less parts changing.. There is where my idea about pulling the shift cover comes in..  and because you said coolant was coming out of the breather...  Also,. When you have the cover off, and you flush it out with brakeclean or something, you can put a couple gallons of cheaper oil in it with a pint of ATF, drop the cover back on the keep the sliding clutches in neutral, and let it idle for five minutes to wash the water out of the bearings..  no need to rev it up or hear it up, it's just a rinse..  then drain that dirty oil out, and see if it's ready for a new dose of 50W synth.  Oil..  Jojo