1918 Mack AC needs Headlights

Go to solution Solved by Licensed to kill,

Newbie here, On September 6, 2022 I purchased my first Mack truck a 1918 AC. We have driven the chassis 550 yards and it only stalled once. It will require a lot of TLC, patience, and money to do a restoration to my satisfaction. I have a whole list of required parts the least of which is a “C” cab and headlights. I have elected to work on the headlights first.

(1) Can any one tell me if the one pictured would be correct for my truck.

(2) What is the manufacture and model of the correct lights?

(3) Did other auto builders use this this light?

(4) Help in locating the correct ones?

Good photo headlight2.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/6/2022 at 8:46 PM, Brian99 said:

Newbie here, On September 6, 2022 I purchased my first Mack truck a 1918 AC. We have driven the chassis 550 yards and it only stalled once. It will require a lot of TLC, patience, and money to do a restoration to my satisfaction. I have a whole list of required parts the least of which is a “C” cab and headlights. I have elected to work on the headlights first.

(1) Can any one tell me if the one pictured would be correct for my truck.

(2) What is the manufacture and model of the correct lights?

(3) Did other auto builders use this this light?

(4) Help in locating the correct ones?

Good photo headlight2.jpg

Welcome, and good luck on the project.  These early models are a little (a lot?) off my radar.  But, there are some guys on here that have knowledge of the older stuff.  Hopefully some will chime in and steer you in the right direction.

Also, check with some of the guys over at JustOldTrucks (http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/Default.aspx).  They are not all-Dog there, but they do have some guys with tons of knowledge in the early stuff...lots of which I can't even identify!

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2022 at 10:51 AM, BOBWhite said:

To me those look more like a marker light of sorts than a headlight, and why would they be all the way back by the radiator? 

Are these lights even electric or are they acetylene or some sort of oil lamp?  

Kerosene lamps, not for driving.

• Like 1