Engine fan

Bluebulldog

2000 e7 355-380 engine I put a new fan clutch on it from Mack.  Now it seems to never disengage and takes for ever to warm up as it gets colder out.   This one of this viscous (one with little coil spring sensor in the middle). Not an air operated one.  Did I get a bad one or is that style just troublesome?

The viscous fan clutch is one of the best ones...  When you say it stays engaged all the time, do you mean for 10 - 15 while the engine warms up?  and does it fade in and fade out as you drive?  they start out a bit stiff when cold, but as they warm up they loosen up, and then when heat comes off the radiator, the pigtail on the front grows and allows the oil inside to pass through the veins to grab a hold of the clutch and make the fan rigid, until the air coming in cools off...  they are self adjusting..  jojo

when you say "I put a new one on": what time frame are you talking :: week/ day/ yr?   engine SHUT OFF and key removed from ignition. can you reach in and turn fan by hand?  did the small bi-metal plate fall off front of fan :  doubt it did. radiator heat bends the bi metal plate which pushes the pin to let more fluid in fan core thus engaging it  which is opposite your situation.  when the fan doesn't engage most causes are dirt build up under bi metal plate.  back to square 1. if you can not turn fan manually :: WITH ENGINE OFF  fan clutch NG.

• Like 1

Put it on in April.  Seem at the time to not disengage I thought.  Then this fall my help made the comment thats not ever shutting down.  With engine off I can turn the fan but will also slip the serpentine belt some while doing so.     I’ll say it is nothing like the one on the granite we have.   

It's a challenge JoJo not being there as with many questions.  "forever to warm up " ==all day/ first few ??   trying to get better (stay on topic ) . wifes '15 subaru 70 degrees out start car high idle 7-9 minutes .  shut it off , wait 20 minutes go to start back high idle.

2 minutes ago, Bluebulldog said:

Put it on in April.  Seem at the time to not disengage I thought.  Then this fall my help made the comment thats not ever shutting down.  With engine off I can turn the fan but will also slip the serpentine belt some while doing so.     I’ll say it is nothing like the one on the granite we have.   

Yea you need two guys to turn those ones on the granite haha

2 minutes ago, Bluebulldog said:

with that info  ;i would unfortunately go with faulty fan clutch. cold/ cool engine ; fan clutch should NOT  have hold power to turn belt

the viscous clutch has resistance when cold but will turn..  they hum  during warm up, then drop out when the clutch warms up...  then when 185 degrees or more if running A/C, comes through the radiator, the pigtail on the front opens up and engages the fluid into the clutch inside the assembly..  serp belt??  -or- no tensioner, alt is on a banana bar?  

Edited by Joey Mack
poor sperring..
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bluebulldog said:

I contacted Mack seems I got the last one they had.  Is there other manufacturers out there that we could cross the part number to that would be this style?   

What did you get? Yes there are others out there. 

It is normal for those things to be tight as shit when cold and they do lock in when cold. But usually kick off after about 30 sec of driving down the road. From what you’re saying I’m going to diagnose it as bad. But these guys have been doing this longer then me so take that for what it’s worth. 

Yup viscous fans I have seen lock up when cold for a short period then cut out, that’s on fords anyway. But if thing isn’t cutting out at all the valve is clearly stuck open and it’s trashed. Let you guys handle it though 

Edited by Onyx610

they will turn by hand when cold, and yes, with engine running, they are engaged until they warm up a little, them they are controled by the heat off the cooling pac (radiator, c.a.c., A/C condensor) ..  I guess we are saying the same thing in different ways..  :) jojo

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Onyx610 said:

Yup viscous fans I have seen lock up when cold for a short period then cut out 

his statement was fan seems engaged while sitting in line (asphalt plant maybe ) . engine can't be running hot enough for fan then . with AC  = there's NO computer involvement here correct??. 

1 minute ago, mechohaulic said:

his statement was fan seems engaged while sitting in line (asphalt plant maybe ) . engine can't be running hot enough for fan then . with AC  = there's NO computer involvement here correct??. 

Correct. It’s a bimetallic strip. The fans junk