2004 427 AC VMACIII Pure Black Soot

OldDirtyMack

Hello guys! New member here, thanks for any help in advance. 
I recently purchased a 2004 CH613 from a guy with known issues. It’s very hard to start and once it does, it just bellows out pure black soot and I mean a lot.. like a coal train. I have it at a shop now and we’ve replaced all 6 injectors (2 were stuck open), and 2 pumps. He’s tried running it with and without the turbo hooked up. Changed the fuel filters. Ran the overhead. Nothing seems to make a difference. There is also zero throttle response, but it shows to be working on his laptop via % ratings. He has the newest version software, but it isn’t the VMAC. I’m just trying to get some help and ideas on where to go next.

Codes: 5-8 & 5-9

He says he has never seen these codes cause these issues.

I have attached a video

1 hour ago, OldDirtyMack said:

Hello guys! New member here, thanks for any help in advance. 
I recently purchased a 2004 CH613 from a guy with known issues. It’s very hard to start and once it does, it just bellows out pure black soot and I mean a lot.. like a coal train. I have it at a shop now and we’ve replaced all 6 injectors (2 were stuck open), and 2 pumps. He’s tried running it with and without the turbo hooked up. Changed the fuel filters. Ran the overhead. Nothing seems to make a difference. There is also zero throttle response, but it shows to be working on his laptop via % ratings. He has the newest version software, but it isn’t the VMAC. I’m just trying to get some help and ideas on where to go next.

Codes: 5-8 & 5-9

He says he has never seen these codes cause these issues.

I have attached a video

IMG_3794.MOV 8.18 MB · 1 download  

Air filter in upside down?

• Like 1

Oh my….I believe those codes are egr related.  Check charge air system real good? I’m gonna step back on this one as I’m not familiar with the AC engines. 

Edited by Onyx610

1 minute ago, OldDirtyMack said:

Air filter system is completely removed. I’m not sure how to reply to each comment separately. 

Onyx, I’m down to thinking something is stuck inside the intake. Maybe one of those red rags or something. That’s my next step.

Yea I’m thinking a restriction….in the manifold possibly 

The rag sucked into the manifold is more common than you think. By the way welcome aboard and there will be more guys to come give you some ideas on this. Lots of really smart dudes on here. 

Check the cam sensor and the flywheel sensor. while its running, unplug one of them. if it shuts off, the other one has an issue. the flywheel sensor wires are prone to damage because it gets all the spray off the steer tire..  pull the loom back and gently tug on the wire from the plug up towards the engine as far as you can, its about a foot..  

11 minutes ago, OldDirtyMack said:

Air filter system is completely removed. I’m not sure how to reply to each comment separately. 

Onyx, I’m down to thinking something is stuck inside the intake. Maybe one of those red rags or something. That’s my next step.

This was my next suggestion

Just now, OldDirtyMack said:

It has a new cam sensor, so I will check the flywheel one. Man! Was that rag sucked into the intake? It appears to be quite the chore removing this intake. 

Thanks so much for the input guys!

Yea the back bolts are fun

yes the rag was left in the engine,  I did a ton of work to the engine to try to fix it, and all efforts failed..  When I was at whits end,,  I went to pull the heads,,   funny thing is...    the intake was the last part I had to remove before pulling the heads..  Had I pulled the intake first..  well....   you know..  Next time i will put my 3 foot bore scope in the manifold..  you may want to do the same if this goes further...jojo

If it starts but you have to crank on it 8-10 seconds every time then it could be either of the timing sensors. When one goes bad it runs off the the other one but it’s hard to start like it’s a fuel issue.  Or someone adjusted the valves wrong. As in when the flywheel pointer was on 1/6 they adjusted cylinder 1 instead of cylinder 6. Seen that happen several times.