350 Cummins in a B 42? Is it a possibility?

Craig N

4 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I've got a 237 with a 5 speed mack trans bolted to it. Engine smokes a bit, doesn't like to start in the cold. Most everything else on the truck is gone, and we haven't had it running in a few years.  Was a U675T, I think 1974 or 1976. If your engine is no good then send me a PM, I can check with my dad to see if we want to sell it. 

Zip code 18914.

Oh that’s awesome!  I’d appreciate you finding out. No rush, though. I won’t get to start working on it for at least a week, so I’ll know better then.  Thanks!

Here’s a question for you guys. So, I see the driveshaft parking brake hub on this truck, but I don’t see the hand lever on the floor anywhere. How else would that be actuated?  That’s not air operated at all is it?  I didn’t look long at it and was kind of an after thought. I can’t wait to get it home to crawl all around it. The brake drums are frozen to the shoes so I was thinking about the brakes and realized I never saw the handle anywhere. First thing I do when I get it home is get the drums free. 

On 10/31/2022 at 5:02 PM, Craig N said:

Here’s a question for you guys. So, I see the driveshaft parking brake hub on this truck, but I don’t see the hand lever on the floor anywhere. How else would that be actuated?  That’s not air operated at all is it?  I didn’t look long at it and was kind of an after thought. I can’t wait to get it home to crawl all around it. The brake drums are frozen to the shoes so I was thinking about the brakes and realized I never saw the handle anywhere. First thing I do when I get it home is get the drums free. 

Hand brake.jpg

it could be this truck was pieced together from a diesel truck or they used the body from a gasser as the sheet metal didn't Crack and break like a diesel model ..less vibration I know mine had the mount for the brake on the trans but all the other parts were mia

If your going to be a bear be a grizzly

On 10/29/2022 at 10:20 PM, Craig N said:

I would probably go with a Mack 237 or 285 before I did that though. Would like to bolt a twin box back up to it. 

I still have this 1972 R model for sale. It has a 237 with jake brakes and a twin stick 6 speed if you are interested. I don't need a lot of money for it. I'm also in the Pittsburgh PA area.

20 hours ago, Mean Green said:

it could be this truck was pieced together from a diesel truck or they used the body from a gasser as the sheet metal didn't Crack and break like a diesel model ..less vibration I know mine had the mount for the brake on the trans but all the other parts were mia

I think the body is original and just had the driveline changed. The vin stamped in the frame is for a b42 and matches the number on the inside door plate, so I’m assuming someone just switched everything somewhere along the way. It has maxi brakes on it and I found the release on the dash once I got it back to the shop. It’s missing the yellow knob so I missed it at first. Got the feed and returns off of the injectors so I can pull them and get some mystery oil and blaster in the cylinders to help break it free. Gotta get the injectors out though as they’re stuck in pretty good. I’ll work on getting them out tomorrow. 

DE7F7F83-DA31-4C1D-BB1A-8993FBCF302A.jpeg

10 hours ago, 67RModel said:

I still have this 1972 R model for sale. It has a 237 with jake brakes and a twin stick 6 speed if you are interested. I don't need a lot of money for it. I'm also in the Pittsburgh PA area.

Oh man, I wish you were closer. I really like that truck and would love to have it. Would probably cost too much to haul to Massachusetts I bet though. What would you want for it?  It runs?

12 hours ago, Craig N said:

What would you want for it?  It runs?

Yes runs and drives like a sewing machine. Has not been on the road in years but used as a yard tractor for a long time. Frame is crusty but the engine, trans, and rears are in great shape. Would be great for somebody that needs a good powertrain. $2500

3 hours ago, 67RModel said:

Yes runs and drives like a sewing machine. Has not been on the road in years but used as a yard tractor for a long time. Frame is crusty but the engine, trans, and rears are in great shape. Would be great for somebody that needs a good powertrain. $2500

Oh wow. I’d jump all over that thing.  Know anyone in your area that would be interested in hauling it up here?  If the price was right for the haul I’d take it for sure. I’d drive down there to make the deal obviously. I’m actually flying to Virginia at the end of the month or beginning of December to drive a pickup truck back up here and have to stop in Allentown so could detour to you.