2070A trouble

Hick

Question

I got a 92 mack with 2070A trans. I have lost ALL gears, the pto still works was able to dump load at quarry after being loaded. No previous problems at all. I can push shifter into all gears WITHOUT clutch pedal being pushed down, and you can hear the gears slow down before shifter goes into gear. When I do let clutch out you can hear it engage and lug engine for split second. Absolutely no noise chatter or nothing. I backed up to pile to get loaded and that was it would not move. Thanks in advance 

Ok..  fill the air tanks, shut the truck off, select low range, (blue button down),  in first gear position....  push the clutch and start the engine..  then try to drive off...  let us know what it does..  you say the PTO works..  is the PTO on the tranny or is it a REPTO?   since this tranny has an air shift (un-synchronized) back box, a few things can be happening..  I hope its just a sticky range shifter, that is putting the tranny in neutral.  Is the clutch brake working?  jojo

6 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Ok..  fill the air tanks, shut the truck off, select low range, (blue button down),  in first gear position....  push the clutch and start the engine..  then try to drive off...  let us know what it does..  you say the PTO works..  is the PTO on the tranny or is it a REPTO?   since this tranny has an air shift (un-synchronized) back box, a few things can be happening..  I hope its just a sticky range shifter, that is putting the tranny in neutral.  Is the clutch brake working?  jojo

pto is on trans. D. side. Pretty sure clutch brake was working. I will give them idea's I try tomorrow, thanks for the advice 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tjc transport said:

almost sounds like the input shaft of the trans broke

would think there should  be at least some sound of grinding  unless the shaft sheered fairly clear cut. not knowing much of this new style, but based on other air operated units, would shifting trans to reverse or high side then seeing if something happens letting out the clutch be a shot.? 

yes Mech.. the main shaft in the 200 series has offset splines, and a break away groove..  so if the main shaft snaps in the "normal" way..  it will stay together. but you will only have 1st. and rev.  2-5 will not work..  it's a cool feet of engineering..  the input shaft will turn the counter shafts and, rev. and 1st. will still engage..  they use the same sliding clutch...  jojo

Mech...  as far as the main shaft thing...  at least you can drive it to get out of the way/ off the job site/ load on a drop deck/   etc: .....  and besides...  You a damn smart MF'r anyway...    Just sayin'....   jojo

• Thanks 1

quick short version of learning experience with trans gearing.  a company i did work for had F-model /twin stick 10 trans old steel tank hauling pool water . going up a steep hill road. the "ace"went to shift and missed. rear half trans blew wide open. neighbors called the cops " a big truck spiling gas on the road; it was pool water.  truck in small shop, owner goes up street to competitor steels a 10 speed laying outside.  they had a party to go to. with a backhoe i pulled trans alone - they looked the same ; made one out of two. lost count of trips from backhoe to truck lining up trans to eng.  had to run next day. point is  next day "mr . hotshot"  bitc--d about the difference in shifting . back half gears didn't do well with front half.LOL

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

quick short version of learning experience with trans gearing.  a company i did work for had F-model /twin stick 10 trans old steel tank hauling pool water . going up a steep hill road. the "ace"went to shift and missed. rear half trans blew wide open. neighbors called the cops " a big truck spiling gas on the road; it was pool water.  truck in small shop, owner goes up street to competitor steels a 10 speed laying outside.  they had a party to go to. with a backhoe i pulled trans alone - they looked the same ; made one out of two. lost count of trips from backhoe to truck lining up trans to eng.  had to run next day. point is  next day "mr . hotshot"  bitc--d about the difference in shifting . back half gears didn't do well with front half.LOL

Sounds about like the time a company I drove for put another driver in my assigned truck which had a Eaton fuller Super 10 tranny in it. Yeah I reported for work later that same day only to be told I was in a spare truck because the tranny in mine got damaged. Lol 😆 🤣 Driver basically blew the gear to gear selector lol 😆 😂 🤣  .

• Like 1

If only a "round the camp fire "group can get together for the ;; remember when stories. can laugh till the tears roll. just didn't seem funny when they took place .LOL  clutch job on  loaded ford dump in snow on side of the road= owner didn't want to pay for wrecker.;; steering box change on KW K100 upstate NY during ice storm; trip to maryland for alternator change . road calls back then covered the east coast:: CT to PA,MD> virginia, maine. no GPS or cell phones. the knees, hips, back remind me of the memories every day..

• Like 1

agree ALOT  of it i don't want to think about,, not the work as much as how the work came before family. still see a little 6/7 yr old girl (my daughter) staring at me one day saying;; mommy who is that man. She's 49 now and i still apologize to Her for being such an ass--le.

I just turned 35 and celebrated 9 yrs of marriage the day before my birthday. I've been driving 16yrs. Let's see got hit in the back of the head by a toter trash can lifter at 19,fell out of the side of a box truck face first basically my head fell 10ft face first at 21,acouple truck accidents in the beginning of my 30s the last one about 4yrs ago a guy decided to commit suicide by hitting my dump truck basically head on. I've got a bad knee thanks to the plastic dash coming apart and cutting up my knee and doing some internal damage to it. Yeah been a crazy ride but every time I climb behind the wheel It still feels like it's my first time and I can't help but just smile. I've ran hard,drove when I prolly should've parked it,and warn myself out on the road. Once led a Convoy of 25 other trucks across 80 in Pennsylvania in a snow storm from the 16 yard stick up to the 120 exit into the Sapp Brothers truck stop safe for the night. Yeah prolly more stories to come the older I git but for now it sure has been alotta fun 😀 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

would think there should  be at least some sound of grinding  unless the shaft sheered fairly clear cut. not knowing much of this new style, but based on other air operated units, would shifting trans to reverse or high side then seeing if something happens letting out the clutch be a shot.? 

sure would. 

when people say 7 speed i think of the straight 7. i never saw an air shift 7 speed trans

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

7 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

i don't recall EVER seeing a main shaft break, have seen transmissions explode due to a hot shot truck driver miss a shift. 

how about detonating trans and both rears "speed shifting"  at 45 MPH, and bending shift forks, so the trans engages two gears at once.  the results aint pretty!!!!! 

TJC... The 2070 tranny is a 5spd. With an air operated low split, in the back box. It is un synchronized.. most times you shift like a 5 spd. If needed, you put the blue button down, and you can use 1st and 2nd then come out of second, ( double clutch) in neutral, shift blue button up, and go back to 1st. Then finish the rest of the 5 spd's..  2+5=7...  It is also an overdrive tranny.. jojo

• Like 2

ok. i have heard of that one, but never saw or drove one. 

but that was how i would run the 88 "R" with the 300 and twin stick 5 speed when i had a heavy load and needed to get moving on an upgrade. 

2 low and 1 high were about a half gear apart, and really helped starting off on a hill at 100 ton.

• Like 1

Yes sir..  yours was an X 107..  way better than the 2070.. I drove late 70's DM and R model dump trucks with that tranny..  I like having several reverse gears... The 2070 replaced the 107..  

• Like 1
  • Like 1