Problem starting

Ok here’s the issue I have a 2014 with the mp8 having problems starting up truck in the mornings . Once it’s on , drives good and if you turn it off it starts right back up . Today I did something different I primed it from the fuel filter housing and it started right up . Also I  do have bubbles coming out passenger tank return line I believe it is the return line . What could be the issue? Cups,  injector , or fuel filter housing . Thanks 

1 hour ago, Joey Mack said:

Possibly any of those reasons..  did fuel leak from the primer, when you pumped it? If so...  Replace it..  

no fuel dint leak from the housin

1 hour ago, Joey Mack said:

There several postings about this issue, that you can read.. air in the fuel is common in MP engines...   

ok I’ll check all fittings coming from tank to filter housing thanks . 

• Like 1

Start with a clear hose at the fuel return overflow valve at the head to the return at fuel filter housing. Check for aeration. If you have aeration you have bad cup/cups. If you don’t, which I hope is the answer then we can start to look at things like a fuel filter stand. Do you happen to have a davco filter on the truck?

Edited by Onyx610
  • Like 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Rsc1717 said:

I don’t know if it’s davco filter housing or not it has the Manuel primer pump that comes out when you twist it . Ok as soon as I get a change I’m going to run that hose from the head and see aeration . 

You can also run the hose back to the tank if you wish. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Joey Mack said:

you were leaning towards a real issue, Onyx...  The Davco 382 is a great setup, and you are correct about the $8.00 check valve allowing fuel to bleed back when worn..  My guess is He doesnt have that added to the MP..  Too bad..  at times I try to recommend adding one to trucks just because...   I like the drain and the ability to see the filter as it gets dirty..  I also like the fuel heater option that it offers..  Just tossing my opinion in the mix...  :)   jojo

I like them too for all the same reasons. I really like them on MPs for the extra filtration on that sensitive/expensive fuel system. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I vote cups as well. Unless no other visible leaks or damp spots  in the fuel piping it’s always cups. Only 4 other things I have ever seen cause hard starting. 1 , fuel  pressure relief valve that screwed in front of head . The updated one is really rounded on the end , the old style is flat all the way out to the end , takes a 7/8” wrench to replace. Yours being a 14 should have the new one . I had a 13 year model with the old one a couple weeks ago though. 2, fuel filter stand hand primer pump leaking when you pump on it. 3, tandem pump leaking at weep hole. The power steering pump and fuel supply pump are bolted together and there is a weep hole between them , if this is really wet or fuel dripping  them it can cause hard starting , usually on trucks with 650,000plus miles. 4 , plastic fuel line connector at filter stand transition. The plastic fuel line from the fuel tanks quick connects to a fitting on a bracket on the filter stand. I’ve seen the factory zip tie the fuel lines so tight that in a hard pull the engine tilts and it pulls the fuel line back slightly and sucks air . Also a cracked plastic fuel fitting at fuel tank that was cracked by running over a deer. Now after all that is said. If your engine starts but dies after a few seconds then it could be leaking reman injectiors or a bad oil control valve for the engine brake . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also , at least your truck is a 2014 , injectors are available your yours .  One of our 2008-2009 MP8 has be waiting for injectors since first week of August . They are finally supposed to ship out today but still have no tracking number. I believe there are 5 different MP8 injectors not counting common rail engines.  

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Now Thats uptimeVolvo trash!

Just an observation when doing that test our guys would also watch for an intermittent large bubble passing down the tube every 6 to twelve inches! The foam is not a firm indicator! when a bubble passed by your assured its cups!  There is always some fine bubbles from what I observed! 

Again just an observation!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rsc1717 said:

My engine starts and runs it’s just when I shut it down has hard time starting back up . Have been getting less response and shake or vibration up hill .

CUPS !  It will only get worse! Mackpro nailed it from the get go in my mind!

When you have this job done have them check the engine brake slaves as well your already in there!

• Like 1