PTO Help Needed

Dieselfixer

Is that a gear reduction setup?  I don't recall that style.  Heck, I thought with the 107's you could put the aux in neutral, and select a gear in the main, for different pto speeds.. damn I'm rusty...  :)

• Like 1
  • Like 1

purpose of the rear mount P T O's on the maxitorque  was to enable the truck (dump)  to drive and raise the body same time . such as spreading asphalt etc. aux in neutral  would allow 5 different speeds for a body to raise but couldn't move. pto in 1st too slow, 4/5th truck can't drive. rear mount was constant operation same as old style side mounts. those were the days of many spreader boxes towed by truck unlike the high tech self propelled asphalt spreaders of today. boy do I have many many hrs on those spreader boxes. LOL 

5 hours ago, terry said:

The rear mounted PTO'S on that trans that i have seen were run on one of the countershafts, had a special slot in the countershaft to turn the PTO.  terry:MackLogo:

early rear mounts had a shaft out similar to the floating axles . always mounted on the bottom counter shaft ; allowing  oil to flow through  and the lower counter shaft had a hole in the middle with splines for the PTO shaft to mesh with. very simple install, no shims /spacers or backlash setting like the old side mounts. only thing that had to be done (with extreme caution) was to slightly pull the countershaft  out ;it was tapered and turn it 180 degrees. too far and the internal shims fell off shaft and someone's ass was grass.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

early rear mounts had a shaft out similar to the floating axles . always mounted on the bottom counter shaft ; allowing  oil to flow through  and the lower counter shaft had a hole in the middle with splines for the PTO shaft to mesh with. very simple install, no shims /spacers or backlash setting like the old side mounts. only thing that had to be done (with extreme caution) was to slightly pull the countershaft  out ;it was tapered and turn it 180 degrees. too far and the internal shims fell off shaft and someone's ass was grass.

Yeah i wasn't sure if the shaft had a slot or splined.   terry:MackLogo: I have shimmed alot of side pto's shim the idler gear to the trans then take off and shim to the pto then assemble!

• Like 2

I worked on a few of them many years ago..  the bottom counter shaft has splines in it,, the other 2 do not, so when building the tranny you just need to put the #3 shaft in the bottom..   jojo

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, terry said:

Yeah i wasn't sure if the shaft had a slot or splined.   terry:MackLogo: I have shimmed alot of side pto's shim the idler gear to the trans then take off and shim to the pto then assemble!

the idler on side mounts was usually  there to set the pto in opposite  rotation.  

8 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

the idler on side mounts was usually  there to set the pto in opposite  rotation.  

On all the the older ones triplexes and so, the countershaft gear was so small it need that idler gear to reach it. and then most pumps had two stubs to hook your shaft to for what direction you needed to go.    terry:MackLogo:

• Like 1

On 9/24/2022 at 11:44 AM, Dieselfixer said:

Hi All

I have a 1986 DM685S with a Maxitorque extended range transmission. I'm trying to identify the pto that is on it. It mounts to the back of the trans. 

If anyone can help identify it or maybe has 1 for sale please let me know.  Thanks,  Al   

Part_1.jpeg

Part_1 (1).jpeg

Part_1 (2).jpeg

Picture 1 is driven off the main box counter shaft and has five selectable speeds if I recall! On a 12 sp trans !

12 minutes ago, Dieselfixer said:

The problem I'm having with it is when trying to dump a load the pto is popping out of gear. If the truck is empty the body will go all the way up with no problem. I'll have to take it apart and see what's going on with it.

So is it an air operated or cable operated?as pictured? The should be a stop on the linkage there ! I believe it’s a sliding gear in there! I have changed the shaft on these with out removing the whole lump but it has been years!

• Like 1

by the picture seems air operated. indicates problem with internal pto . air cyl wouldn't know difference  if body empty or loaded. I don't know why it would make a difference either. as joey stated  worn slide clutch ,same as trans pops out of gear when sliders are worn. looking at the picture, 1- a little lube on linkage would help;2- remove linkage check see if cyl  is throwing far enough. 3- adjust the throw to fully engage slide clutch might be a quick fix. 

• Like 1

I just looked again, I can see daylight through the pin hole in the lever..  Definately an issue there.. If a lever isnt available, weld it up and re-drill it...  then use a new pin...  that wear will definatley cause improper engagement of the sliding clutch...  jojo

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...