What ratios

mrsmackpaul

Paul,  For some reason I am not able to send pictures to my Email from my phone.  I have a picture of a chart that may help you, but my normal way of sending pictures is not working..  Hopefully, when you clean the paint off the front of the carrier housing, you will see the series and ratio..   i expect it to be 112/113 series.. I'm trying,  Jojo

Thanks Joey

Went for a look see and returned with some info

Looks like 113, I have never had a issue with these at all so have never looked before

20220906-051315.jpg

These were 5.73 ratio when new and for some reason I thought they had been changed to 5.29, Vlad pulled me up one day and said there was no such thing, I  don't know but said I would find out next time I'm under there

20220906-051649.jpg

Looks like 5.32 to my eyes, reckon they would be the original carriers with new gears put in as 58's are pretty rare out here 

Paul

Yes Vlad was right, just getting out and going for the day over 

Have sent you my email address Joey

Thanks for helping 

Yeah, I have no idea were I got 5.29 in my brain from

5.32 is plenty slow enough and would give you blokes a fit if I drove on the states at 55 MPH all day like I do out here

Paul 

Wouldnt bother me....   I want to move the load, not win the race...  however, if you have to haul many loads in a day, the bossman will be on youre a$$..   I did a few years in construction pulling dump trailers and some 'wheeler work',,  I always was 1 or 2 loads / day shy of the seasoned guys,   But I never tried to get a speeding ticket as well..  anyway....    :) jojo

• Like 1

Photo of ratios sent to me from Joey 

KIMG1148.jpg

So after discussing this with Joey I reckon it would good to share this info with all as these questions are asked plenty of times on here

From the chart above (correct me if Im wrong Joey)

On the left hand vertical column of the main group of numbers is ratio of the top half of the diff center

I am calling the top half the bit that turns the drive to a right angle 

So once I  establish that I can then go across the line horizontally and find my ratios that are available with that top section of gearing

So my truck had 5.73 to begin with, now has 5.32

So I find those two numbers and that tells me what ratios are available if I only change the lower section, from 4.64 - 6.48

If I  only change the top section and leave the lower gears as is I can have from 3.87 - 8.90, that is starting at my 5.32 as my base ratio 

Is this correct Joey ?

Paul

Also let me know if it isnt okay to share this stuff Joey and I'll delete it 

Seeyah

your doing good Paul,  to use this chart to the fullest, the carrier needs to be taken apart..  as far as the spur and bull gear, my bet is they will remain.  the top reduction (bevel gears) is where you will make your adjustment,  however,,  i have always built these with stock replacement sets, and I would use the mearsurements for shimming, and to make sure I had the right gears..  I also wish It wasnt 5 or 6 years ago when I built one.. you can also count the teeth on the gears and dived them into each othe to get the 2 gear ratios, (bevel gears + Spur and bull gear)...  I hope others will come in and add to or correct me if needed...  You Got this Mate...  Jojo

50K and up to 60 k-ish were 112/113, back then,,  92/93 were below 50K,  the 112/113/  had a stronger spur shaft housing and I think the bull gear is a bit wider...  Much like the 200 series, if memory serves me right..  I do know the 200 series was a stronger setup than the 92/93 series, as I described..  jojo

Edited by Joey Mack
more content needed

as Far as I know, you can use the same ratio's...  The 200's are strong, but I have seen many 92/93's do a great job..  I dont see an issue...  and 92/93's are everywhere,  so you can hoard a few to do what you need to do..  I dont think I helped much Paul...  I really hope a smarter guy chimes in... :)   jojo

the mount bolt pattern is the same..   after around 2010-ish i think is when they added another bolt inside the carrier housing..  so your good...  as far as the axle housing,  how it is mounted into the truck is different, as you know..  spider gears in a Mack rear end are housed inside the bull gear, so no need to go that deep in that..  if you get the chance,, get a blown up mack rear from a friend and tear it apart..  as smart as you are you will say... "oh hell I get this'...   jojo

1 hour ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Crack,  what crack

Sorry Mate, I thought that this was a Crack....But upon cleaning My specs I see I was wrong..

20220906-051315.thumb.jpg.615f92e23ab95d5b3157abde6e78e771.jpg

1 hour ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Gotta remember seed this wild beast 320 unbridled horse power, takes a lot to harness that much energy 

Yeah I know.. I had one in an F Model back in the Day..

• Haha 1

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -