How to get water out of a fuel pump

dogg rescue

Question

5 answers to this question

I guess I would drain the filters into a clean bucket to see what is in them.  are you able to bring an air compressor to the truck?  you could use the red trailer line on a tractor if you need to...  screw a glad hand to an air hose. you can un-hook the pick-up line at the primary filter, and blow back to the tank, and do the same with the return off the pump ( Ambach, I assume?) with the filters off,  you can blow out the fuel lines,  remove all the delivery valve nuts,  and crank it over to pump all fuel/water out of the Inj. pump..  then I guess, now you look in the tanks to see if there is a puddle of water at the bottom..  hopefully you have drain plugs, or are able to remove the fuel crossover line on the main tank.  drain the water from the main tank, and leave the crossover shut off for now til you get it to your shop..  hopefully it doesnt have gallons of water in the fuel tank.  then, put it all back together with new filters and use the air compressor to push fuel to the injection pump,  ( low pressure to do this), leave the line off at the injection pump input, to make sure you arent pushing water into the pump, and when its clean and clear, you can hook it back up,  then try to crank it up,  it will take a few minutes to get it started..  as I say this,  I would bring a road tractor, so you can keep jumper cables hooked to the R-Model, and use the air from the tractor to do the purging..   There will be some more guys adding to this,  and you will figure out what will work best for you...  Best of luck!  Jojo

• Like 2

Hello, Vlad..  Im glad you read this post..   Do you have any other suggestions, that can help him.. I'm a bit of a 'Boy Scout' when it comes to rescuing trucks,  ive rescued many,  but I know you are very smart, and may have some good advice..   jojo

Providing the water hasnt been there long enough to corrode things, I  would just drain and clean as suggested, the water should pump out of the injector pump pretty quick if it has any in it 

Things to remember are 

The filters on a diesel are fine enough to let diesel thru but not water 

Diesel floats on top of water 

And this probably a lot more common than you think 

So keeping this in mind it is highly unlikely any water made it to the injector pump

Drain the water off the tanks (I can see and feel difference in my fingers between water and diesel) and then change the filters and prime it up

If it is just water the truck would of been starved  of fuel as soon as the filter was full of water and thats why it stopped, not because of water in the injector pump so dont panic it should be all okay and filters did their job 

Paul 

• Like 2

just a thought  if the truck is sitting in the field (high grass)  i would take a clean 5 gallon can of fuel = hook in to the supply line ; possibly remove primary (red) fuel filter to check for contaminated (water etc ).proper way replace  filter with new clean fuel not that bad drain it and fill it and reinstall ;;; only to get the truck in a more suitable location for repairs. only going by the picture shown.then follow ALL the ideas above.

• Like 1