ENDTF 673

muncieman

Does anyone have an exploded view of a Mack ENDTF 673 Engine or pictures of the front cam and crank gears. Trying to isolate an issue I am having with my 65. I am having a tapping noise that comes and goes and using a stethoscope it sounds like in front of number 1 Cylinder. It is more profound at idle. At times after it heats up, it goes away but re appears. Thanks

21 hours ago, muncieman said:

Does anyone have an exploded view of a Mack ENDTF 673 Engine or pictures of the front cam and crank gears. Trying to isolate an issue I am having with my 65. I am having a tapping noise that comes and goes and using a stethoscope it sounds like in front of number 1 Cylinder. It is more profound at idle. At times after it heats up, it goes away but re appears. Thanks

Be careful!  on this ! Mack played about with 2 piece pistons in the this era  the skirts can break up! Pull the pan and look at the piston skirts on the cyl you suspect! 

Edited by fjh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, muncieman said:

Yes the valves are adjusted to spec. I never thought of the piston skirt but the noise comes and goes. We changed the no. 1 injector but it still makes the sound. I'm going to investigate further. Thanks for the input

Another thing you could try is putting an extra gasket under the fuel transfer pump to lessen the side load of its cam shaft !

"F'  I am not smart on the E-6..  but I wanted your opinion about the endplay screws/button's,  in the front cover.  is it possible that the cam is walking, and causing a different sound?  I have one in my shop, and I expect to get back to it and get it done this year,  I have the book on setting the endplay,, but was curious about noise, after reading this post..  jojo

Guess anything is possible joe how ever I highly doubt his cam button has become worn! It’s easy enough to set think it’s a half turn loose idea! The older engines you could take the big bolt off the side of the transfer pump and detention the spring with an extra washer ! I suggested the extra gasket cause chances of finding an extra washer for that bolt would be slim to none these days! As for the button it’s an easy check for sure!chances are the bearings on the fuel pump cam are worn some and he has some deflection of the cam caused by the pump! Causing a fuel knock on cylinder 1 !

Edited by fjh
  • Like 1

How 'bout I just read what you post, and soak up the knowledge??   I like these post's because guy's like you teach me something, that will pop into my head later, when I'm on the job..  :) jojo

That is awesome..  I'm so glad it was a simple fix..  I feel like most of the time, the cause is something simple..  It was good of you to post the fix.  I bet it ''Purr's like a Dog'' now...  :) jojo