Timing light adapter

Macktruckman

Question

I’m looking for a source for one of those piezo adapters for a timing light, or a diesel timing light. I see some of the adapters on Amazon and eBay for 200 bucks or less but they are not in the USA and I’m leary to purchase. If any of you fellas had an idea I’d appreciate it 

thank you, Josh. 

15 answers to this question

what are you trying to 'time'?  i am not familiar with the piezo thing.  are you looking for an injection pump timer, or a photo tach? and what engine are you working on for this need?  jojo

Yes sir. it clamps to the injector line. I have not used one. Mechanical pump. EM6 2 valve. Robert Bosch pump. 
history is it is a EM6-285 tip turbine engine. I retrofitted a CAC from a 1988 4 valve doner truck and sent the pump and injectors to Thompson diesel in okc.  They recalibrated to the highest settings available for the RB pump with 11mm barrels   And rebuilt the injectors. Then I bought a new holset HX50. Now I need to set the timing right. I had it advanced and it had timing rattle so loosened the bolts in the front of the gear and I turned the crank about 10 degrees to retard it and the rattle is gone but I’d like to do it right. 

If you have a hand primer pump on it then spill time it.The nut on # 1 plunger barrel need removed from top of plunger and the check valve taken out.The nut that holds the adapter down will need to be loosen up with a 11/4 box end wrench and you will have to grind the side down some for the box end to go down on there.Put the nut and adapter back in and then pump the fuel up with the primer.With some one slowly turning the engine in engine rotation watch and stop turning the engine the moment the fuel stops flowing out of the adapter.This is with the gas petal pushed down and the stop pushed in.That is were it is set to start injection on @1.When you have the timing set reinstall the check valve on top of the plunger and torque and i am only guessing now but i think the nut is torqued at 100 ft lbs.Some one may know better cause it being along time since i worked these pumps.The timing adapter your talking about is only a joke.I have one and they are not close to being right.I have a sanp on light and adapter.Some people used a electric pump to flow the fuel thru the punger and barrel.Some guys connected a plastic hose to the fuel inlet of the pump body and the other end of the plastic hose went in their mount and they would blow air thru the plunger and  the moment the air stopped flowing was the timing event.

• Like 1

glenn akers

Glen it has a new hand primer installed on it when I got it back from Thompson. But I think that nut/fitting the injector line threads onto is a splined looking creature?  I have a friend who is very competent that can help. He just knows nothing about the old engines. But can figure it out like me. He works on mostly C15 and isx and Ism and such but he and I can do this I think