Mack mp8 fuel pump timing gear and cam removal

Hack

There is a whole bunch of tools you could by to assist in the removal of the  rockers and  cam! That said there's not anything you can't improvise ! You need some heavy rubber bands to tie the engine brake slaves in place There is a special hook affair to lift the cam out a strap and patients will work! You need to mark the gear to the bull gear! Bla bla bla!   This said Check the bull gear these have had issues with coming loose! something caused the cam to break! BEFORE you dig to far you may have a deeper can of worms there! take a bar and check for any side play in that bull gear! There are guys here with may more MP8 experience than my self so  wait for a response from  Some of the others !

Just sayin!

Edited by fjh
  • Like 1

The cam didn't break the Mechanic said somebody told him he needs a special tool to remove it. What broke was the gear that sits at the back of the motor that runs the fuel pump it broke off the shaft and he's not sure if the gear and shaft is one piece or if their milled together.

8 minutes ago, Hack said:

Okay. He won't sure how it was made. The shaft broke then. I got them checking the bull gear and everything else.

As pro mentioned Could get pricey in a hurry !the bull wheel can make a hell of a mess!

• Like 1

He quoted me for 20k but I won't hold my breath. The owner said they've done plenty of them so I'm hoping it won't take them long they got it pulled apart other than taking the upper part to get the cam out. They gotta find a plate from when the gear broke off it waddled the hole out and the gotta find that shaft 

3 minutes ago, Hack said:

He quoted me for 20k but I won't hold my breath. The owner said they've done plenty of them so I'm hoping it won't take them long they got it pulled apart other than taking the upper part to get the cam out. They gotta find a plate from when the gear broke off it waddled the hole out and the gotta find that shaft 

Hopefully the whole back of the engine don't got to come off! however your  not likely going to get off with out doing that! Big project! 

• 2 weeks later...