Oil thermostat replacement

steeler

are you trying to replace the plunger in the piston cooling tube control, under the right side of the engine?  jojo

Edited by Joey Mack
Poor spelling

those pull out. I dont remember having to take a bunch of stuff off the engine, however, I did this repair on MP-8's..  I may not be of any help, sorry bud. I should have waited to post... Jojo

Yeah this one is hitting a hump in the block where an oil pan bolt threads in. Barely, but enough that the valve will not drop down far enough. 

I found a service bulletin for the leu, which states to remove turbo, egr cooler, then filter head. Only other option in seeing here is to gently shave that oil pan boss on the block enough to get it out. 

31 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

15 minutes ago, Onyx610 said:

Jack the engine up, your engine mount could be bad. 

Its hitting the engine block. Otherwise no clearance issues. Apparently this isn't an issue with the 07 emissions, only after 10 I think. 

Replaced lots and lots of the oil thermostats on MP7 and MP8’s. But never replaced the piston cooling thermostats that comes in from the bottom. Sometimes the oil cooler thermostat shorts out and also sets a code for the piston cooling thermostat because the share some of the same wiring, I know the newer common rail trucks we have , have a separate fuse just for both of the thermostats. And by thermostats I mean solenoid’s.  I’m actually replacing a oil thermostat in a 2015 MP 8 today 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mackpro said:

Replaced lots and lots of the oil thermostats on MP7 and MP8’s. But never replaced the piston cooling thermostats that comes in from the bottom. Sometimes the oil cooler thermostat shorts out and also sets a code for the piston cooling thermostat because the share some of the same wiring, I know the newer common rail trucks we have , have a separate fuse just for both of the thermostats. And by thermostats I mean solenoid’s.  I’m actually replacing a oil thermostat in a 2015 MP 8 today 

That's what I've normally seen as well. I didn't get so lucky this time. This one is actually causing the red shutdown light. I plugged in a new thermostat and the code goes away. 

Had a guy at our local dealer tell me that mack says to remove the filter head, but he's been able to get them out without doing that. 

If I have to do some block shaving, then shaving I will do! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Onyx610 said:

Thanks for letting us know!

Always! I've been working on mack engines for almost 30 years, used to be the easiest but Volvo has really done some head scratching engineering. Maybe at the top of the list, well Paccar is right up there with them. 

• Haha 1