Pto trouble

2014pinnacle

Hi guys I have 2016 pinnacle with an m drive I’m having pto problems the code coming up is spn 3460 engagement status - transmission input shaft pto1 this truck is a blower truck when your traveling down the road the lightening bolt light comes on an goes out intermittently and if the lightening bolt light is on the pto won’t function any ideas what I should be looking at? I swapped the pto switch with another and no difference 

A few years ago I fixed a similar issue, with an M-Drive.  Under the cab on the left side was a wire harness that ran down the frame and over the top and down to the tranny. I found wires rubbed through in the harness where it curled over the frame. I soldered the wire together and , just like that it was fixed..  I spent 2 days on that truck and was hitting dead ends. I even pulled the shift cover off a couple of times because I thought I had a speed sensor issues and a shift cover issue.  I hit the re-set button and started over.. and that was when I found the wire, i had to spread the wires out and look real good for it..  Good luck, Jojo

• Like 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

Dumb question, you aren't driving around with the PTO on right?

i wouldn't go as far as to call it a dumb question. many time when in search of a problem, people go for the technical side and over look the simple. how many times on the news there's a story of someone on the highway with a body hitting an overpass due to a PTO engaged. yrs back while at mack a brand new mack dump was taken down the street to fuel up. the driver (not me) some how engaged the PTO , the raised body hit the over hang  lucky no one in the fuel shack was hurt.. it does happen.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

A few years ago I fixed a similar issue, with an M-Drive.  Under the cab on the left side was a wire harness that ran down the frame and over the top and down to the tranny. I found wires rubbed through in the harness where it curled over the frame. I soldered the wire together and , just like that it was fixed..  I spent 2 days on that truck and was hitting dead ends. I even pulled the shift cover off a couple of times because I thought I had a speed sensor issues and a shift cover issue.  I hit the re-set button and started over.. and that was when I found the wire, i had to spread the wires out and look real good for it..  Good luck, Jojo

Usually this is a wiring issue as Jojo has mentioned in Our area there is Brine/ salt  on the roads this time of year and it gets in to EVERTHING ,But rule out the techy end with the tech tool make sure the any codes are un related your up dates are up to date  For WHAT EVER reason this makes a difference sometimes  as these people keep changing stuff!  Then start tareing into harness issues !

just sayin!

Edited by fjh
  • Like 1