1999 Mack MR688S tail lights/brake lights stopped working

So I have a 1999 mack mr688s that has a concrete boom pump mounted on it.  All of the park lights, brake lights, and blinkers quit working pretty much at the same time.  2 lights on either side going down the truck and everything on the back.  I've been chasing wires and found nothing.  I can't find or don't know of any diagram for relays or fuses.  Everything on the cab works great.  Clearance lights, front park lights, headlights and front/side of cab blinkers all work great, just everything from the cab back isn't working.  Anyone have any ideas??

Did you check under the truck/along the frame rail for a large wire/connector plug? Usually up fitters will use this style from the truck side and join it into the dump body or whatever it is on the back. A lot of times that “plug” can come loose. It takes all your functions from the cab and transfers it to the back and then splits off to everything. You might have this or you might not. 

That’s very possible too. The fact that everything isn’t working makes me think broken connection between a truck side harness and the aux harness or whatever you want to call it. 

Edited by Onyx610

There could be! If there is it’s hidden somewhere….These things are hard because everybody has a different way of wiring things and you never can get any info on them. So it’s almost always a search and find and it’s usually a very slow process. I feel your pain. 

Have you looked at the left front where the large wire harness comes from the cab and bends around the the pivot point. I have made many repairs to wires there due to chaffing. MR's/LE's have a pretty fat wire harness in front. I can't remember it in detail like I used too. I havent worked on an MR in a few years. I always thought of these trucks as a wiring nightmare. I remember opening the the center console and krindging.  Best of luck, Jojo

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally figured it out.  Double checked the ground and re-did it to be sure it was well grounded.  No change.  I tore the whole dash and wiring harness apart basically, tracing wires from the switches to the harness and trying to find any issues.  Then I found a junction box at the back of the truck where truck harness wires came in and then were disbursed to the appropriate lights.  Well, the wires I'd been chasing (the factory wires) weren't even connected anymore.  Instead, I found a newer set of wires running into the box and connected to the appropriate connections.  Someone re-wired the lights at some point!!  Very carefully traced the new wires and found that right between the two drive axles, the wires were hanging down and hitting the drive shaft.  All the wires except the reverse wire were completely cut through... Thanks a lot previous owner!  Anyways, did a legitimate splice job, covered wires well, rerouted them to a safer location, and all is functioning as it should!  I appreciate the help!!

• Like 1

On 1/28/2022 at 3:02 AM, Joey Mack said:

Have you looked at the left front where the large wire harness comes from the cab and bends around the the pivot point. I have made many repairs to wires there due to chaffing. MR's/LE's have a pretty fat wire harness in front. I can't remember it in detail like I used too. I havent worked on an MR in a few years. I always thought of these trucks as a wiring nightmare. I remember opening the the center console and krindging.  Best of luck, Jojo

I know that feeling.  But I've grown to like our mr688 because when you lift that center dash panel it's ALL there! Wide open, no skinny access panels in the dash like R models have.  If you can't lift the center dash panel out due to the trash truck controls well... Yeah that would be awful. Especially because the factory wiring is buried below crappy wiring for the trash body.