Lowering Gvw's

B61 Bill

The post about the CDL's reminded me of another question. If a person bought a truck with a GVW of 35,000, and say the truck weighed 17,000, and registered it to the lower GVW of 26,000, which wouldn't require a CDL, I'm wondering if this would be able to work with no problems. If it would work, besides being able to legally drive it without a CDL, one could still haul 9,000 lbs worth of weight. Wondering if anyone out there has ever done this or would have any info on it.

I think if you check, anytime you haul for hire, you need a CDL.

Out here in the Wild West, you can drive 'most anything, A) If you own it and B) if its under 28,000 GVW.

I hauled a cabin kit for my son. No charge, but he bought fuel. That's OK. If he pays me $1.00 mile, I'm now 'hauling for hire' and crossing state lines (3) - - - Well, that's another ball of wax!

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

A CDL is required if the GVW, as stated by the manufacturer, is 26,000 or more. You can license the truck for any weight you want, up to the manufacturer's GVW. If you get stopped and "the man" opens the door and reads 26,000 or more on the door tag, you better have a CDL. We had a driver stopped here in NC with a CDL but didn't have the air brake endorsement. The ticket was $125. The DMV officer told the driver if he saw him leave with the truck, the next ticket would be $1000!

The company I work for in CA has a truck that was rated at 28,500 GVW. I took it to a company that manufactured truck beds and for $300.00 they looked at the truck and retyped a new door sticker that said 26,000#. Being what the state of CA calls an end manufacturer they can certify the truck's GVW as they get cab and chassis' and install the bodies. I don't know how far they can lower the GVW(ie 45,000 to 26,000) but it is possible and legal, just as long as' you don't get caught haling something over the limit.

The post about the CDL's reminded me of another question. If a person bought a truck with a GVW of 35,000, and say the truck weighed 17,000, and registered it to the lower GVW of 26,000, which wouldn't require a CDL, I'm wondering if this would be able to work with no problems. If it would work, besides being able to legally drive it without a CDL, one could still haul 9,000 lbs worth of weight. Wondering if anyone out there has ever done this or would have any info on it.

Great question as I asked this once too. David said it best; you can register a truck under its mfg GVW but an officer will go by the gvw of the trucks door tag. Its kinda dumb but thats the way it goes. Also here in NY I believe you need a CDL for air brakes no matter what the GVW and what your doing with it. I also herd the import trucks with the air over hydraulic brakes were designated as air brake vheicles by the DOT. So even a little ud or hino with the air over hyd setup would need a CDL.

Oh and a side note, once while at an international dealer I asked if a truck of 26k gvw could be registerd as 17,999 pounds (under cdl) could be driven by a non CDL holder. His answer was yes even though an office goes by the door plate. Even the sales people dont know for sure. My recent trip to my local Mack dealer revealed that it was changed from under 18k to under 26k. This is recent so now any vheicle under 26k and no air brakes needs no CDL here in NY.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

I agree with the manufacturer lowering the gvw from the factory. I got around the CDL by getting my 12000 lb trailer tag to read just under 10000lb. If the man wants to push it, any trailer I tow that is over 10k would require a CDL. And what is even worse is that even if you are legal and the man's interoperation of the law isn’t right then you have to fight it out in court. I have talked to three different D.O.T. people and got three different answers. :pat:

I agree with the manufacturer lowering the gvw from the factory. I got around the CDL by getting my 12000 lb trailer tag to read just under 10000lb. If the man wants to push it, any trailer I tow that is over 10k would require a CDL. And what is even worse is that even if you are legal and the man's interoperation of the law isn’t right then you have to fight it out in court. I have talked to three different D.O.T. people and got three different answers. :pat:

Farm plates also work if you have any land or you could haul farm products once in a while to make it legal.I see it all the time in VT. and now actual farm trucks do not need to be reg. you only need insurance and a yearly inspection in VT. Tim

The company I work for in CA has a truck that was rated at 28,500 GVW. I took it to a company that manufactured truck beds and for $300.00 they looked at the truck and retyped a new door sticker that said 26,000#. Being what the state of CA calls an end manufacturer they can certify the truck's GVW as they get cab and chassis' and install the bodies. I don't know how far they can lower the GVW(ie 45,000 to 26,000) but it is possible and legal, just as long as' you don't get caught haling something over the limit.

hi guys,,,,, thisss is buckkk,,, i have a trauckkkk madeee fromm a 90, 71 passengerrr busss, it has a cab fraom an 85 1850 ihc, both titlesss are over 32 k gvww,,, i can no longer qualiffy or testt for commerciall licesnsee in any capacity,,,, i tookkk the trauckk to a bed manufactureer in bakersfileld, calif,,, they recerted the trauck to 25950( i cut 11 feet from the frame anddddd added kw sleeaprer, and short 9 foot shortshside stake bed,,) the certs and trauck, wereeee then examinedd by CHP in victorville, they told me that any air on the bvrake system in any capacity or trailerr with air brakess wold be treatedd as aair, and would require air brake endorsement and any infraingemenat would be treated harsehly,,, i had initiallly put a maaazi pot on the disc emergencyyy brake disc,,,, but had to remove it forr a caable operated ssystem,, they told me i could pull any trailoro tht i cold phyusically , safely attach to the truck chassis but i wold be required to stop at every scale since the trauck was obviosuls y larger thatn a one ton,,, and if it and the total load,,,, trailor, truck and whatever was on it, weighted one more pound than 26,000, i would have to remove whateever the excess wass before the trauck could be movedd,,,,, ticketed, and treatedd in courttt as if i wereeeee a commefrciallll driver doing the sameeee infraction,,,,, the trauckkk caan be seenn at cardomain,com and in the internataionl sectionnn, scouts,, as buchks,, buss i thinsk,,, its in there,, it has dta 360 and 13 speedd,,,hydraulic disc brakes aall around and needs air forr the trans,,,, so i use air for seatss, horns, and eventually rear suspension,,,, hope thsi helpss,,,,, buckkkk