My B61 Project

pennsyjeff

Hey guys, I finally got my B model out of the shop and had a chance to run her up and down the road (secondary side road) but still got to get it out and make some smoke.....boy does it run nice and have the power..I have to finish up the lights, install the 5th wheel, and some other small things, but hopefully before too long I can hook it up to my trailer and haul my old cats this summer..I hope my pictures come out ok. Jeff.

Hey guys, I finally got my B model out of the shop and had a chance to run her up and down the road (secondary side road) but still got to get it out and make some smoke.....boy does it run nice and have the power..I have to finish up the lights, install the 5th wheel, and some other small things, but hopefully before too long I can hook it up to my trailer and haul my old cats this summer..I hope my pictures come out ok. Jeff.

Sweet. Glad you have her together! Looking wonderful so far, be sure to get us some pics of it workin!

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Nice job! That truck is definitely pretty! I'm looking at it & I see you used the original oil bath air cleaner. In the previous pictures I noticed that motor has a tip turbine intercooler on it, just wondering what provides air to the intercooler? Also, as far as having that quad box behind that motor, I can tell you from personal experience there won't be a problem , as long as no one does anything reckless with the driveline. We once put a ENDT 676 285hp into a DM600 with a quadruplex & never had a bit of trans trouble. Its just like anything else, if driven respectably it'll last forever,if someone really tries to break it, there's always a way!!!!!!!!!

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Nice job! That truck is definitely pretty! I'm looking at it & I see you used the original oil bath air cleaner. In the previous pictures I noticed that motor has a tip turbine intercooler on it, just wondering what provides air to the intercooler? Also, as far as having that quad box behind that motor, I can tell you from personal experience there won't be a problem , as long as no one does anything reckless with the driveline. We once put a ENDT 676 285hp into a DM600 with a quadruplex & never had a bit of trans trouble. Its just like anything else, if driven respectably it'll last forever,if someone really tries to break it, there's always a way!!!!!!!!!

You are very observant and you also know your macks!!!!!! The air cleaner is actually a dry type that I got from Watt's mack that looks like the original....I have been told by a couple of people that did this engine swap that I would suck the oil out of the air cleaner if I used the old oil bath air cleaner, so I updated to the newer type.... also, I put a K&N dry type filter element directly on the tip turbine fan so it would be filtered air going into it under the hood. I think if I were to work the truck hard on a hot day, I may have a slight problem with hi pyro temp with in not being outside air, but for what I am going to use the truck for I think it will be okay. (at least I am hopeing) I didn't want to cut a hole in my hood for the 2nd air feed pipe and use the dual draw air filter, so this is what I came up with...I wanted the original look.

Looking good Jeff!!!

you have done a real nice restoration on her

I think that tip turbine will work fine for you with no load. If temps do get hot just fab up a tube that runs to the front of the truck. would think outside air up front would be cooler?

if you get a good run with her let us know what the EGTs get to.

Trent

You are very observant and you also know your macks!!!!!! The air cleaner is actually a dry type that I got from Watt's mack that looks like the original....I have been told by a couple of people that did this engine swap that I would suck the oil out of the air cleaner if I used the old oil bath air cleaner, so I updated to the newer type.... also, I put a K&N dry type filter element directly on the tip turbine fan so it would be filtered air going into it under the hood. I think if I were to work the truck hard on a hot day, I may have a slight problem with hi pyro temp with in not being outside air, but for what I am going to use the truck for I think it will be okay. (at least I am hopeing) I didn't want to cut a hole in my hood for the 2nd air feed pipe and use the dual draw air filter, so this is what I came up with...I wanted the original look.

this is an R-model dump pulling tip-turbin air from under the hood and he doesn't have a problem. your truck looks great, i wish i was that far along. scott

I agree with maintaining the original look, & with the quadruplex you got enough gears that you wont have to lug the engine down to the point where the pyrometer temp gets way up there. The hi temps usually occur below 1400 rpms on a hard pull- in my experience anyhow. If you did need more cool air, a duct from outside the engine compartment, such as what Trent suggested, would accomplish that,& still be inconspicuous. Again, congratulations on a job well done.-----------Herb

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

• 2 weeks later...

looks good.. i like that intercooler / aftercooler on the intake..... i tought all the mack trans had triple countershafts..mummn i guess i was mistaken..is that just the later 13 and 18speed mack trans?... so how much power can my old quadraplex take?....i definately will want to upgrade then as i plan to be able to work mine when done...mummn..and have a lot of power... looks liek i have to swap a e7 and its regular tran in then or find a e9 or use the cat 3406 b...mumnn then radiator problems maybe... mummn too much $ argh my wallet is hurting now just thinking of it..hehe

but yours looks really really nice. i likethepaint etc.

thanks deo

VERY nice job, I can only imagine how you feel at this point. You have done a nice job documenting (photos) for us to watch the project progress has been incouraging.

Looking forward to the next pics.

Jim T. P.A.I.

• 2 months later...

I posted these pictures in the drivetrain section as I am thinking of changing diff's but I wanted to post them here so all could see the completed pictures. As soon as I hook up my trailer with an old cat on it, I will post them too...........

• 2 months later...

Question for Jeff and John.

I may be forced to do the same transplant soon.

Is there any other things that may be helpful to me and would you do anything differently?

Also, are there any parts that are interchangeable?

ie air starter, generator, compressor, fuel injection pump (prob not).

Thanks. Rod.

PS Is there room between the engine and the firewall to put some sheets of noise insulation?

Mine (before it went kaput) was so so noisy. Earplugs were essential.

Proud owner of;

1961 Mack B61 prime mover.

1981 International ACCO 1810C DualCab Fire Truck