Power steering in a B-61

My plan WAS to take the power steering box from an R model and adapt it to my B then just use that power steering pump that is already on the compressor of my 285. However, upon further observation, not so easy. So, my searches have yielded comments that suggest that with radial steer tires, power steering is not really required on a B as they steer quit nice. I will, of course be running radial steers (11R 22.5) so am wondering if going for power steering may be an un-necessary endeavour. I bring this up today because i am painting the engine and if I am NOT going to be using the power steering pump then I will remove it and make a block off plate before painting the compressor (assuming that I can just remove it and put a block off plate in it's stead). Thoughts??. 

I existed with my B-61T for just over 20 years with manual steering so it can be done for sure. However, power steering many times would be a welcome addition along with just a bit more positive caster placed into the steering axle to improve it's "road manners". A B-61 is fairly light on the steering axle but a modified lower steering column to attach to a custom mounted Saginaw, or Ross variable ratio steering gear is a great addition. The limiting factor is the mounting of the steering gear on the inside of the frame which makes locating an acceptable steering gear a challenge. This basically needs retained to clear the front wheel "cut" for turning.

Modifying a drag link to connect to the spindle isn't much of a challenge for a good welder.

Forgot to add a blanking plate is readily available for the back of the compressor when the pump is not required. If the pump becomes surplus to you, I could use one for another project I'm working with every now and then.....

Edited by Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Ha ha 10 four On a good welder Rob sounds like this guy could use one for all that modification God love him for doing it all although I am a little envious that he has got all this free time I have absolutely none….. bob

Kind of an SOB to do in a B-61 as the steering column shaft runs right into the steering gear so one has to fashion a centering bearing and support for the lower end of the steering column shaft, and install a knuckle or universal joint to attach to the new steering gear input shaft. Not really too awful bad if the engine and trans are out of the chassis but it takes a mount that either bolts or welds to the frame for the replacement steering gear to mount to ensuring there is enough sector shaft, (Pitman) protruding through the frame rail to affix the Pitman arm to.

Of course there are Garrison units available that retain the use of the manual steering gear and use a torque link type affair to route hydraulic fluid under pressure to stroke a cylinder moving the front wheels too. These are still made I'm told but $$$ to acquire complete. They however are not hard to install. I've not installed any since the early 1980's, but again I'm told these systems are still available.

I always thought the Garrison steering was very sloppy "over center" and wandered a bit on the pavement myself but it sure turned easy.....

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I mounted a power steering box on my B model it was from a Mack fire truck and I adapted two steering shafts and ujoints. I own a job shop machine shop and I used most of my machinery and welders to do the job. I ended up with lots of time in it but about 600.00 in parts. I have been driving the truck for about four years and it works for me and I see no abnormal wear on my steers. When I was done with the front and after I slid in the air ride rear I aligned the front my way. I had training on front alignments sometime in the years past.