New here and looking for some help

cgerman

Hello all,

I have recently been tasked with helping a family member liquidate some vehicular assets to help avoid financial hardship. He has an older Mack R Series day cab tractor that I'm trying to get some info on. Don't know where to search for the 17 digit VIN-or if it even has a 17 digit VIN. I have a photo of the VIN/GVWR sticker from the drivers A-pillar and a tag that is riveted to the drivers B-pillar. Photos attached.

From my 3 hours of googling thus far, I haven't really been able to come up with much info on it, especially since I don't know what year it is. The local dealership was of no help since its an "antique" to them. I was hoping to get some more solid info/guidance on where to look and what to look for to get this truck properly identified and inventoried for future sale if need be.

Thanks in advance,

Chuck

IMG_3455.jpg

IMG_3456.jpg

go to the front of the frame rail behind the left drive tire, you should find the whole vin. stamped in the frame there should be a "Bulldog" stamped before the no.  ... jojo

The new age Dealership, is trained from the top to "Not give a damn" about those of us that know and understand the "real" trucks. They do not care... So just ask us here at BMT, and someone will help you. There is a ton of knowledge here, from around the world... Jojo

That "R686ST" on the sticker (if that's the original number) tells you a lot.  Like Jojo said, check on the RH frame rail and see if the number matches.

I think the 686 uses a 283 HP Maxidyne engine.  That information is on here somewhere (wiki?).  Normally, there is a plate on the engine that lists HP and valve clearances.  Maybe it's 2 plates.

The "ST" means it is a Six wheel ("tandem axle") Tractor.  Or, at least that is what it started life as.

Edited by doubleclutchinweasel

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

@DCW, thanks for clarifying some of the stuff I was able to find via the not so almighty Google.  I was able to find that it did use a turbo'd maxidyne but there were numerous HP ratings so I'll be sure to check the engine tag(s) - any idea where they may be located on these old warhorses? You also confirmed my googling of the suffix ST, thank you. 

@jojo, thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to check in that area for the VIN stamping. Its sad that I'm in the heart of Mack country (Lehigh Valley, PA) and I cannot locate anybody that is knowledgeable locally-even the old dogs at the Macungie plant are less than helpful. The forums are almost always the best place to investigate this type of stuff.

This is what I was able to find with the info off of the picture.

VIN 1M2N179Y6FA003147

Model R686ST

Build Date 06/28/85

Engine EM6-300-4VH

This engine is a beauty. A diamond in the rough. Good old E6-4 Valve. Keep those valves adjusted and basic maintenance, should be an excellent vehicle.

V

Don't anybody shoot me if I am wrong, but I THINK there was a tag on one of the valve covers.  Or, maybe on the RH side of the head?

Also, I think the engine model was stamped on the gear case near the front of the fuel pump.  Here is a link to a post I put up years ago.  This is where mine was marked "T-673-C".

Oh, and VMAC has a good point.  By 1985, the 686 probably moved beyond the 283 HP Maxi.  He is way more up on that "later" stuff than I am!  Most of my knowledge peters out by the early '70s.  LOL!

And, NO...there was NOT a 17-digit VIN back then.  R686ST3147 WAS the number back then.  Not sure where VMAC got his number, but he is usually correct on such things.  Probably a cross-reference of some sort tha the has access to???

Edited by doubleclutchinweasel

11 minutes ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

Don't anybody shoot me if I am wrong, but I THINK there was a tag on one of the valve covers.  Or, maybe on the RH side of the head?

Also, I think the engine model was stamped on the gear case near the front of the fuel pump.  Here is a link to a post I put up years ago.  This is where mine was marked "T-673-C".

Oh, and VMAC has a good point.  By 1985, the 686 probably moved beyond the 283 HP Maxi.  He is way more up on that "later" stuff than I am!  Most of my knowledge peters out by the early '70s.  LOL!

And, NO...there was NOT a 17-digit VIN back then.  R686ST3147 WAS the number back then.  Not sure where VMAC got his number, but he is usually correct on such things.  Probably a cross-reference of some sort tha the has access to???

I was able to muster this info up on the build sheet. According to the Mack/Volvo mainframe this vehicle came up with a 17 digit VIN. I am sorry if I am misleading anyone. 

V

image.thumb.png.ed99984f18e5ebec7c6f9eedd4576ee9.png

The 17 digit VIN should be right if its post 1981. I know the R-series trucks were mid-late 60's to early 90's production so I really wasn't sure what to expect in terms of VIN # format. I'm not near as big into TT stuff as I am older Ford/GM/Mopar stuff..

I'll have some time later this week to photograph his vehicles, gather more information from him, and do some more research on the truck itself, as well as a few other vehicles. I don't think the old Mack has seen daylight in quite a few years, as with the rest of his collection.

The Museum is closed still due to COVID, but at your advise I did send them an inquiry via the contact us form, so we will wait & see what they have to say. I have also reached out to one of my good clients that works for Mack & provided him with the info I currently have as well.

Sorry. Had to step out for a while. I was thinking it was sometime in the 80s when the 17 digit numbers came out, but wasn’t sure exactly when. On my ‘70, the title had the vin listed as R611ST5525. It had no 17 digit number. Maybe vmac can confirm this, but it looks like, on the truck in this discussion, they HAD the 17 digit number, but just listed the last 4 digits on the door plate. 

• 2 weeks later...