ENDT-673 pushrods

Joey Mack

I am inspecting my push rods, and i see a drain hole at the lifter end, and what looks like a hole at the rocker arm end, however,, they all seemed to be plugged up.. im guessing the hole is small and gets clogged with dirty oil... what is the best way to open them back up? I have to re use them, and otherwise, they are in good condition.. pushrod #1140.. Thanks, Jojo...

I should have said... the clog is at the rocker end of the pushrod.. just curious.... is the hole at the lifter end of the pushrod, there, to release pressure caused by heat? If the top cup is not an oil passage.? 

You're going to need to soak them to soften the gook and make it easier to remove,. I use the GUNK CK3 Carburetor and Parts cleaner. Put them vertically in the cleaner and let them soak for a day or 2, run a wire through them and soak the another few days. wire through again and some air pressure and you should get most all out. Be aware the cleaner is a mild acid base item. It WILL take off paint, a layer of skin.  A company called Berryman also make a similar cleaner.    Paul  

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Thank you,Paul.... I have had them soaking in diesel for a couple of days..  I will get the solvent you mentioned.. I have 36 pushrods and was tempted to take a 1/16" drill bit and make my own holes...  I'm surprised the oil hole is so narrow, since the oil back then wasnt as refined as recent oil... Correct me anytime... I like to learn from my mistakes.. I'm lucky enough to have customers that trust me to repair thier older Macks.   Jojo

The hole size meters the amount of oil going up to the rockers.  I would not enlarge them.  Bigger holes mean more volume, but a smaller bearing surface remaining.  Just get 'em clean, and all should be right with the world.

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

Thank you for you're input... I will just keep them soaking.. I think I will bake them on the grill for a while and see if I can rod them out.... It's just strange to me why the oil hole is so small and the recess in the bearing cup is around 1/8" ....Anyway... Thanks again... Jojo,, 

Edited by Joey Mack
Poor spelling

Thanks again, Rich....I will keep going with what I have for now.. They are in good condition, otherwise.. If I cant make it happen, I will contact you.. I remember, you tried to help me with The TRD-72 tranny I was redoing.. Thanks, Jojo

• Like 1