Emissions System "Get Home" trick

I found the software in the VOE Volvo ACM's will accept infinite zero as a plausible, real time, parameter reading. When you access your Tech Tool you'll see one of 2 readings for "NOx after SCR", it will be a zero or a dash. 0 or -. This point applies to a machine that reads "0" (zero) with the engine off & key on. If your having a freak out in your emissions system you can take out the downstream NOx sensor and zip tie it into fresh air. I intentionally ran a unit cold so the downstream NOx sensor never got hot enough to activate, self incriminating, its a tattle tail sensor that accepts zero NOx as plausible. Did it for almost an hour. After reset it stays out of derate and won't code regardless of "NOx Before SCR". So if you need to get the unit to run till the end of day...….you can run through it, possibly indefinitely, by breathing the downstream sensor. No derates. Not sure what it may do during regen, but by then you'd have a solution and reinstall it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fjh said:

Good info bro keep up the good work!

I have the guy on my text. We’re in the 12th hour and no derate or faults 😆 . If your stuck waiting on replacement parts the damn thing lets you own it with a 7/8” wrench and one stainless zip tie. Pretty funny, they may use dime store sensors and dime store wiring, but thank goodness it’s dime store software logic!!!!

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, Mackpro said:

Any word on removing the outlet NOX sensor to fresh air as a more permanent fix ? 

No, it got me through two shifts though.

I reset the eventual code then ran it for a while with the NOx sensor installed. When it "DEF quality" coded on me a second time I removed the sensor to fresh air again and ran it. The second time it was as if the machine had artificial intelligence for learning the cheat, within the hour it was down for NOx code.  

I got a 2011 non-OBD that’s needing a DEF doser and outlet NOX sensor. But I’m unable to do any work on it till Monday . I pulled the outlet NOX sensor out into clean air and cleared codes and did a learned data reset and turned it loose for a couple of short trips till I can get back on it Monday. Hopefully it will make it 

8 hours ago, Mackpro said:

I got a 2011 non-OBD that’s needing a DEF doser and outlet NOX sensor. But I’m unable to do any work on it till Monday . I pulled the outlet NOX sensor out into clean air and cleared codes and did a learned data reset and turned it loose for a couple of short trips till I can get back on it Monday. Hopefully it will make it 

Thanks I’m curious to know how the story ends?

I also theorized, on the off-road, that the operator could take the “open to fresh air NOx sensor” machine down every 15 minutes for 30 seconds of key off. The machine will not logically determine a sensor issue....is the thought. It’ll think he’s running short cycles and not heating the NOx sensor enough to activate it. I putz around the yard for a long time to finally get the downstream heated to the point of registering. Meanwhile, the DEF process defaults to a sleep mode of 6PSI air delivery to nozzle instead of typical 20-22 PSI because it doesn’t have its downstream NOx reading for regulation of delivery. It (software) seem to expect to hold that cool-sensor-sleep-mode for a long time without reacting with a fault code. 

🍀 Good Luck

Remember the good’ol days when we just fixed machines instead of playing mental chess games with their logic? 

Edited by Mack Technician
  • Like 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mack Technician said:

Thanks I’m curious to know how the story ends?

I also theorized, on the off-road, that the operator could take the “open to fresh air NOx sensor” machine down every 15 minutes for 30 seconds of key off. The machine will not logically determine a sensor issue....is the thought. It’ll think he’s running short cycles and not heating the NOx sensor enough to activate it. I putz around the yard for a long time to finally get the downstream heated to the point of registering. Meanwhile, the DEF process defaults to a sleep mode of 6PSI air delivery to nozzle instead of typical 20-22 PSI because it doesn’t have its downstream NOx reading for regulation of delivery. It (software) seem to expect to hold that cool-sensor-sleep-mode for a long time without reacting with a fault code. 

🍀 Good Luck

Remember the good’ol days when we just fixed machines instead of playing mental chess games with their logic? 

Yup Hide And go Seek!

OH ho-ho YES my FRIENDS :banana:!! A chink in the armor and it was soooo stupid simple. Good job team :clap:.

Try it on a late model someday. The VOE OBD wouldn't have it, but it bought me some time. Times valuable if 60% of the loader fleet is flat-lined and production calls on the Red Phone to ask "what the %#@% is going on out there!!!".

• Like 1