Blown AI-350, any other engines compatible?

GRBGMN

I have a 07' MACK MR688S with blown main bearing that shredded the inside of the block.  I have spent the last two days trying to source out a used (tested, not refurbished) AI-350 engine, but it seems these engines are hard to come by.  Mack won't tell me if any of the other AI engines (AI-300 or 400, AMI) are compatible.  I believe this is intentional to "encourage" owners to buy a REMACK engine.  Can anyone tell me if there are any other MACK engines that will fit without having to change a bunch of parts?  The info I have on the engine is it's a AI-350 ASET. Model - MR6.  ID - 11GB28253Y

I found a used engine dealer in Florida that says an AMI-350 from 2005 will fit, but I hesitate to ship an engine from Florida to Canada.

Any insight would be really great!

Mack engines do "fit " since the engine are same displacement ment...what makes them ai or ami is programming ,turbo and injectors...there several post describing the difference and similarities between hp ratings.. typically 50 hp difference engines have the same hardware components just different software programming.

Since you have all the functional external/internal components......., EECM, injectors, turbos and manifolds you can buy any AI engine you have available and put your stuff in/on it. 

Some AI engines will take a bit more work on the swap, mostly just the 300 HP. It has a smaller, more traditional, cooling package than the larger HP engines, but all work.

If I were buying a used one I’d try to get one in a HP range which matches the same turbo and injectors as the 350. You get more for your money if you can “spare out” your extras parts for later use. EUP’s are automatically a shelf-ready part. 

Your deceased ‘07 will likely have all updates, so if you have an ‘03 used engine default to using ‘07 accessories.

Edited by Mack Technician

Thank you for the responses!  In Canada I have been able to find a fair number of AI-300 engines, but the small town I live in doesn't have a diesel shop that can reprogram the trucks computer for the right HP settings, so I will be likely getting a 350hp engine out of the US.  Unfortunately, the closest engine I've found is in Houston, TX.  The joys of running a business.

Thanks again!

13 hours ago, GRBGMN said:

Thank you for the responses!  In Canada I have been able to find a fair number of AI-300 engines, but the small town I live in doesn't have a diesel shop that can reprogram the trucks computer for the right HP settings, so I will be likely getting a 350hp engine out of the US.  Unfortunately, the closest engine I've found is in Houston, TX.  The joys of running a business.

Thanks again!

Did you check with manders, there are a lot closer.   terry:MackLogo:

23 hours ago, GRBGMN said:

Thanks again!

WE HAVE A TAKE OUT 460 ! CALL RYAN @ NANANAIMO MACK COM ! 2507580185

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, fjh said:

WE HAVE A TAKE OUTAI  460 ! CALL RYAN FERNAMONT  @ NANAIMO MACK COM ! 2507580185

YOU WILL BE DOING A LOT OF PARTS SWAPING AS THE ENGINE IS FROM A CV713 WATER PUMP ECT!

Edited by fjh

On 4/18/2020 at 6:18 AM, terry said:

Did you check with manders, there are a lot closer.   terry:MackLogo:

Thanks for the advice.  Mander's had a motor with decent miles and at a good price.  Plus they know they're stuff.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GRBGMN said:

Thanks for the advice.  Mander's had a motor with decent miles and at a good price.  Plus they know they're stuff.

And they back their product. I’ve seen them sell a used, abused, CH Mack for $17,000 and then later give the buyer a used replacement engine because original was sacked out. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mack Technician said:

And they back their product. I’ve seen them sell a used, abused, CH Mack for $17,000 and then later give the buyer a used replacement engine because original was sacked out. 

there real good people there, a few years ago terry manders shipped me a rebuilt DM cab with absolutely no money up front, he had a truck coming this way shortly, and said put a check in the mail when you can, not many people around like that anymore.   terry:MackLogo:

• Like 2