Difference Between U600 And Dm600 Tractor

I have always liked the off set Dm cabs and the U- cabs. From what I know the DM were for Dumper/mixer but I have seen literature with DM600 tractors but never one in real life, only the DM800 . I have also seen U600 tractors and was wondering what is the difference between the DM600 tractor and the U600 tractor? Is the DM heavier ? , because the few U600 I have seen seems to have smaller wheels compared to the DM.

A DM tractor would be the same heavy spec chassis used for a dump or mixer application, it's just that it has been set up with a 5th wheel and all the air and electric hookups to pull a semi trailer, instead of having a dump body or mixer mounted on it.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

A DM tractor would be the same heavy spec chassis used for a dump or mixer application, it's just that it has been set up with a 5th wheel and all the air and electric hookups to pull a semi trailer, instead of having a dump body or mixer mounted on it.

Thanks, was the frame usually shorter if it is a tractor and were there any mechanical difference to a U- tractor?

Thanks, was the frame usually shorter if it is a tractor and were there any mechanical difference to a U- tractor?

The frame can be whatever length was spec'd by the original purchaser, or it may have been shortened or lengthened afterwards to the length required.

A U model tractor is a lighter duty tractor meant for general on highway type hauling, usually with a 12,000 lb. front axle and a 23,000 lb single axle or 34,000 lb. tandem drive axles, usually on 20 inch rubber.

If I remember correctly the U models used a single 1/4 inch frame rail, whereas the DM in single frame configuration had a 3/8 frame rail, and the DM in double frame configuration had a 3/8 outer frame rail and a 1/4 inch inner rail. The DM frame is also a much higher section from top to bottom and tapers between the cab and drive axle(s).

Most DM's had an 18,000 lb. or 20,000 lb. front axle and 38,000, 44,000, 55,000 or 65,000 lb. tandems or the 38,000 lb single drive axle, usually on 22 inch or 24 inch rubber.

I'm generalizing here based on what I've observed over the years, I'm sure there are exceptions on trucks that were custom spec'ed for special applications.

The frame can be whatever length was spec'd by the original purchaser, or it may have been shortened or lengthened afterwards to the length required.

A U model tractor is a lighter duty tractor meant for general on highway type hauling, usually with a 12,000 lb. front axle and a 23,000 lb single axle or 34,000 lb. tandem drive axles, usually on 20 inch rubber.

If I remember correctly the U models used a single 1/4 inch frame rail, whereas the DM in single frame configuration had a 3/8 frame rail, and the DM in double frame configuration had a 3/8 outer frame rail and a 1/4 inch inner rail. The DM frame is also a much higher section from top to bottom and tapers between the cab and drive axle(s).

Most DM's had an 18,000 lb. or 20,000 lb. front axle and 38,000, 44,000, 55,000 or 65,000 lb. tandems or the 38,000 lb single drive axle, usually on 22 inch or 24 inch rubber.

I'm generalizing here based on what I've observed over the years, I'm sure there are exceptions on trucks that were custom spec'ed for special applications.

I also notice that on the U-model the hood is extended longer downwards between the lights and the bumper compared to the DM or the R. I just noticed it today after going through the many wonderfull pictures on this site. I always knew there was something different in the looks on the hood between the DM and the U but could never quite figure out what it was.

I also notice that on the U-model the hood is extended longer downwards between the lights and the bumper compared to the DM or the R. I just noticed it today after going through the many wonderfull pictures on this site. I always knew there was something different in the looks on the hood between the DM and the U but could never quite figure out what it was.

Not necessarily.

Most U models shared the same hood as the DM, but I've seen those "Roadway" U models with that higher hood that you speak of.

I have always liked the off set Dm cabs and the U- cabs. From what I know the DM were for Dumper/mixer but I have seen literature with DM600 tractors but never one in real life, only the DM800 . I have also seen U600 tractors and was wondering what is the difference between the DM600 tractor and the U600 tractor? Is the DM heavier ? , because the few U600 I have seen seems to have smaller wheels compared to the DM.

the frame of a U is completely different to a DM 600, U uses the same frame as an R600, the DM 800 & R800 use their own frame with a straight thru profile, the DM 600 has its own frame similar to a B model, but with a deeper section from front to behind the cab. Hope this might be of interest to you, regards jeffro

• 3 years later...

Don't have one as of yet! I grew up around them My father drove them on the east coast for 20 years. As a child a remember going with him and I would love to restore one in his memory someday!

Well Im 12 years old, and just loved Macks all my life especially U models. I got my grandfather into Macks, haha, and now my Papa (grandfather) are restoring a U model. Do you have any pictures of them U models your father drove? Whod he drive for?

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg