I e-mailed Goody's Truck Parts about two E9s they had and they e-mailed me back and said "Sorry to say a gentleman from out of the country was just in our facility and bought all the E9 motors we had." <_< Mack needs to start making E9s again. :thumb:

Scott

Scott, As far as I know you can get a E-9 drop in or short block. The guy in my area who everone goes to for rebiulds put a new crate engine in his dog two years ago for 15,000 dollars. It sounds like alot but cheaper than a new unit,Tim

It is probably easier to find one in the northeast states like ny and nj or any state sthat test diesel emissions like california ..as most of the mechanical trucks fail the opacity tests. so unless its a show only, or collector truck... most of em are not working or get sold because of the emissions tests..thats how i bought my 92 series detroits and my old boss sold his '98 CL E900 500 heavy hauler because of that reason.. Still see that truck every now and then it was nice last of the e9's.. here in ny the older the truck is the more its allowed to smoke ie up to 75% opacity up to 1973 year then it goes down in steps.. but 75 % on a snap idle test is still tough to meet on a mech engine that is turned up.. plus most of the tests in ny are random road checks by officers or if in westchester county and south you need a yearly test... any how... for that reason a lot of old iron is being exported here in ny and nj...at least thats what I see and I test the trucks.

Thanks

merry christmas

Deo

Keep on keeping on...

Just to add to the export end, the engines I work on are big, low rpm, flat and OHV Ingersol/Rand's. When we replace them, it is with 3600 series Cat's and turbines. These are about all that will meet the emission standards needed.

The old engines are sold at scrap prices and shipped to South America. Emissions there are not a problem.

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

some times it almost seams more reasonable to spend the $5000 on a whole truck than just the motor. I have seen some "junk" trucks with V8s in them for pretty cheep. they likely are pretty ruff on the outside but atleast you get all the other parts needed with a E9. I am waiting for my bosses superliner with a 440 HP E9 to die, he does not think he will rebuild it because of the cost and age of the truck. I talked with him about buying the truck when he wants to retire it so that I can save it.

Trent

Hi Joe

I did a truck pull last summer at the local Lake county fairgrounds with my RS700L. It was tons of fun (pun intended) A friend of mine on this board (bulldogbred) lives near me and he turned me on to the truck pulling. He has a RS700L with a 300+ with a 12 speed. he can pull better than me with my little 6 speed. A bunch of the local Dump trucks show up to compete. Northern IL Mack is also there with a few of there dogs.

I have never been to any other pull events but would love to get some info about your truck. Maybee this winter I can take the my dog out for a stroll down by you and see this monster rig you have.

:thumb:

let me know

Trent

HEY GUYS 

THERE IS AN E9 ON EBAY FOR 7500 STARTING BID.  IT ENDS DEC. 23RD @ 9:54 IF ANY ONE IS INTERESTED.  ( USED MOTOR)  HE'S ASKIN TO MUCH IF U ASK ME.  BUT THEY ARE ALSO ACCEPTING CORES TOO.            JOE

Hi guys, before anyone buys an E-9 they really should know the history behind it.

It isn't hard to over heat one. I run two 160 degree thermostats in mine to keep it under 180 pulling a hill. You get one hot and it could cost you big money. The big engines are a one man operation, you put someone in a 500 that dosn't watch the gauges and big problems.Just a suggestion Tim :thumb:

...well the egt or pyro will go down quickly even if the truck is over heating...especially if your pyro is mounted post turbo .. the cooling system can heat soak if yout not watching it...at least thats my personal experience. I once had to run one of my turbo diesels with out a oil cooler on a temp basis ...and that thing the oil trem p was thru the roof as the oil is used to cool the pistons etc so that accounts for a good chunk of coolant system heat , beside the waterjacket its the oil cooler, and new trucks a egr cooler etc lots of heatsoak hose and rubber failure on new egr trucks..

thansk

Deo

Keep on keeping on...

HEY TIM

DOESNT YOUR PYRO GET HOT BEFORE THE WATER TEMP?  THIS DOESNT MAKE SENSE TO ME .  PULLING A HILL THE PYRO SHOULD GET HOT FIRST THEN THE WATER TEMP.  UNLESS THERE IS SOME AIR FLOW RESTICTION TO THE RADIATOR.  JOE

Joe believe it or not my truck came from the factory with no pyrometer. I've not installed one yet but most guys up here run low temp thermostats because of our

hills and the E-9 builder in the north east kingdom recommends this practice. I bet

if I had a pyrometer I'd be down shifting more often. I do clean my radiator weekly

too, thanks Tim

...well the egt or pyro will go down quickly even if the truck is over heating...especially if your pyro is mounted post turbo .. the cooling system can heat soak if yout not watching it...at least thats my personal experience. I once had to run one of my turbo diesels with out a oil cooler on a temp basis  ...and that thing the oil trem p was thru the roof as the oil is used to cool the pistons etc so that accounts for a good chunk of coolant system heat , beside the waterjacket its the oil cooler, and new trucks a egr cooler etc lots of heatsoak hose and rubber failure on new egr trucks..

thansk

Deo

Thanks Deo, I guess what I'm saying is that an E-9 is alot more finicky that a small block and you need to remember that when buying an engine,Tim :)

My companys 440 V8 never gets hot but we dont have the hills to pull by me. It has a pyro gauge and it holds around 1100 if we do find a hill to climb. I find with most diesel engines I have driven if it starts to gets hot I can down shift to get the rpms up t 2100 or so and it will allow the fan to keep the engine cool. Only on long pulls out west have I ever had to pull over and let it cool for a few. One thing I never liked about the 6 speed trans behind maxidynes. was that the engine lugs when pulling the BIG hills and will start to get hot quickly, then the fan has a hard time trying to supply the needed air flow thry the rad to keep cool.

Trent

My 500 started to get hot slowly over a couple of weeks till we found a build up of dirt between the intercooler and the radiator about in line with the fan hub, As the build increased the operation of the fan became critacal, we removed the intercooler , cleaned it thru and blasted the fine build up off the radiator fins and , after that , no problems.

Just something to keep an eye on, With the pyro, I downshift if it gets close to 490/500.

that way there is a bit left for a safety margin.

nig. :chili:

My 500 started to get hot  slowly over a couple of weeks till we found a build up of dirt between the intercooler and the radiator about in line with the fan hub, As the build increased the operation of the fan became critacal, we removed the intercooler , cleaned it thru and blasted the fine build up off the radiator fins and , after that , no problems.

Just something to keep an eye on, With the pyro, I downshift if it gets close to 490/500.

that way there is a bit left for a safety margin.

nig. :chili:

This spring when I put my girl back on the road (she's never seen a season of salt).I'm going to remover the intercooler too and give her a good cleaning,Tim :thumb: