370 hp cam changed to a 460 cam What would you expect to see

fjh

2005 AI We have an  370 hp engine that has had a 460 ac cam installed in it the engine pulls like a Bear! How ever Eats turbos every year or so! We are entertaining installing all the early 2003 manifolds and 5 inch exhaust ! do you guys think this will help  or slow down  the turbo  fail rate  or accelerate the turbo issue!  The turbo is the stock AI turbo shaft modified ! I'm no expert on turbo geometry  Even prior to the cam the engine had lots of failures Blow by into the base via the turbo drain! The customer now has the turbos custom built with a double seal ring  on the shaft that used to be done when the stealth brake was around ! He claims the boost is up over 40 psi !😨 So will it spool more or less with  the old style manifolds  and 5 inch exhaust ! Either way it will be an experiment gone wrong or gone right  or no change if we follow through on it! Would like some ideas here!   Kinda worried were going to mess up a the stew here by adding to much salt!

Edited by fjh

Engine’s breathing, no scavenge bump, but has all the exhaust restrictions holding back? You can only improve that mess. I’d do the 5” + manifold with the turbo OldRedMack, Burrens, and now Ditch Digger is installing on their 370’s. 

I think O.R.M. Said it’s a Borg Warner s467 he got from YTS.

Only pure modification you can do to a stock AI turbo is melting it down and turning it into a different series turbo......IMO. 

Edited by Mack Technician

13 minutes ago, Mack Technician said:

I’d do the 5” with the turbo OldRedMack, Burrens, and now Ditch Digger is installing on their 370’s. 

I think O.R.M. Said it’s a Borg Warner s467 he got from YTS. 

Bro I'm concerned about the out come of the hardware changes here! How will  it effect that turbo ? That turbo is already breaking shafts! we are going to let it breath even more if we change the manifolds and 5 inch it!  not committed yet how ever I believe if we do the 5 inch  pipes and muffler on the out side we likely will be safe  BUT   doing the manifolds could be asking other for problems!?

Edited by fjh

So it's a 370 with a 460ac cam.  Is that all the mods?  Do you know what the egt's are?  Is it an electronic boost gauge or manual?  If it's a manual gauge is there a lot of needle deflection?  Sorry for all the questions,  just wanted to know all the variables.   In the end though,  that s300 and ai manifold are only useful  as a paper weight. 

Thanx for the replies guys ! Yup correct .  Stock gauges electric! The ETs Unknown,  Boost is over 40 bumping 42!  I'm told, No other mods yet other than the cam. He is and we are reluctant to change much as the only real issue is poping a turbo every several years now . It is a  tandem gravel hauler!

And that  turbo issue had been on going since the truck  was born, Kept failing by way of boost down the turbo drain into the base! We removed the exhaust  this time to get the oil out . the 4 inch exhaust clear and the muffler is straight thru no restriction other than not being 5 inch! Don't want to mess with the engine file cause it pulls so well!

sorry got  no more than that ! He has reordered the the turbo( BD is building it )  and is and sticking with the tried and true! I guess So we will not see an out come from this conversation  (! It will always be A what if!)

Any predictions if we did change the manifold and exhaust ? I wish we had an open cheque book here but pebble packin only pays so much! 😡

Modified stock turbo two shaft seals! To elevate the blow by issue 

be aware we’re putting this back the way we found it as he declined putting manifold change as to not mess with success! Didn’t want to risk going backwards!

I wouldn't think the manifold swap would accomplish much because if remember right the s300 has the smaller restricted ports leading to the turbine.  Anyway you can talk him into installing a pyrometer?  How much is the modified stock turbo costing him,  I think you can pickup a generic s400 for under a thousand. 

Edited by OldRedMack

Hes having the mod done  himself ! Can't tell ya that at the moment  I will ask!  You are correct the turbo inlet is restrictive I agree with your prognosis  AND I'm not positive he isn't having other mods done!   As Zak stated His boost is at a more normal  33 Usually you got to add fuel to get boost ! So that said Unless I'm getting BS Numbers on the boost! I  have to see ? I will see what kind of pyro he's seeing?  All this  is here say At this point!  It Maybe his 42 is actually 32 in which case Its in the ball park! I would like to drive this my self and see what is actual happening ! I'm wondering if they are not giving the turbo a chance to cool after a work out causing this life shortening of the turbo ! Also!  If this thing was over fueling I would expect to see Blue Manifold and turbo snail evidence!  These look normal they haven't been getting hot! how ever if it is ramming air in at 42 psi we might not see this heating evidence !

Just my observations!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fjh said:

Hes having the mod done  himself ! Can't tell ya that at the moment  I will ask!  You are correct the turbo inlet is restrictive I agree with your prognosis  AND I'm not positive he isn't having other mods done!   As Zak stated His boost is at a more normal  33 Usually you got to add fuel to get boost ! So that said Unless I'm getting BS Numbers on the boost! I  have to see ? I will see what kind of pyro he's seeing?  All this  is here say At this point!  It Maybe his 42 is actually 32 in which case Its in the ball park! I would like to drive this my self and see what is actual happening ! I'm wondering if they are not giving the turbo a chance to cool after a work out causing this life shortening of the turbo ! Also!  If this thing was over fueling I would expect to see Blue Manifold and turbo snail evidence!  These look normal they haven't been getting hot! how ever if it is ramming air in at 42 psi we might not see this heating evidence !

Just my observations!

Hey Fred is his manifold cracked? I know these stock manifolds like to crack with even moderate amounts of heat since I'm ready for my third one now and would be a telltale if he is pushing the numbers he is claiming

13 hours ago, brenner said:

Hey Fred is his manifold cracked? I know these stock manifolds like to crack with even moderate amounts of heat since I'm ready for my third one now and would be a telltale if he is pushing the numbers he is claiming

Nope manifolds are in good shape!