Class 8 Engines: Is Smaller Displacement the Wave of the Future?

kscarbel2

Heavy Duty Trucking (HDT)  /  August 29, 2019

There looks to be a shift away from spec’ing 14L engines in new Class 8 trucks in favor of powerplants that range from over 10L to under 14L in displacement. And the trend to smaller-displacement engine is expected to continue as diesel’s market hegemony comes “under attack” by alternative power.

That analysis is included in the N.A. Commercial Vehicle On-Highway Engine Outlook report which predicts that engines over 10L will account for more than 85% of the Class 8 production between 2020 and 2024.

“Although the over-14L engine category will remain the largest segment in 2019, there is a trend to smaller-displacement engines in the over 10L market segment for Class 8 trucks and tractors, with an acceleration prompted by new emission regulations expected in 2024,” said Tom Rhein, president of Rhein Associates.

For Class 5-7, he said, "the current metric of interest is gasoline penetration, which continues to see share gains.”

Another analyst noted that, “Diesel power is under attack long-term for use in on-highway commercial vehicles. Alternative power is being developed, tested, and refined, even as diesel engines are transitioning to become more fuel-efficient and clean.

“Emission regulations are one of the main drivers of alternative fuel adoption, which is why the Engine Outlook includes a section on the commercial vehicle regulatory environment,” he continued.

He also offered a caution. “While many think this is a California-only phenomenon, we would note that Oregon’s legislators recently voted in favor of a bill to regulate diesel trucks in the Portland metro area, and we continue to see reports about various state and federal-level funding for alternative fuel programs that are sending millions of dollars toward these efforts for both commercial and passenger vehicle use.”

A similar think is happening with regular cars especially with more powerful and efficient  turbo engines at smaller displacement. However I hope with the truck market the transition will be primarily be  because of technology and market demand and not due to govt mandates by people who couldn't even identify 3 parts under the hood.

• Haha 1

I love big engines and big power, but I can say the DD13 505/1850 in my 2020 Western Star 4900 is doing WAY better than the DD15 did in my 2013. It pulls stronger and it will regen on it's own even idling around. It's not having nearly the emissions and regen issues the DD15 had from day one.

Ya, it's still new, but I'm trying to be hopeful. LOL

• Like 1

Class 5-7 gasoline interest.  Ford is in a good position, and about to get better with their new 7.3L.  Isuzu and GM currently in with class 4/5 LCF gas jobs, class 6 coming.  GM and Navistar soon to have gas in class 4/5/6 conventional.  Fuso with a class 4 LCF, Freightliner FCCC with class 4/5 stripped chassis.

Looks like a trend to me.  Question is what else is out there on the way???