Navistar Unveils Strategic Plan to Increase Market Share

kscarbel2

Transport Topics  /  August 6, 2019

BOULDER, Colo. — Navistar International unveiled a strategic plan Aug. 6 that company leaders said will help it expand its market share, sharpen its focus on customers and reduce the time it takes to repair trucks through a strengthening of its existing dealer network.

“We are at a point where we have revamped our entire product portfolio, which I always consider the point to be competitive in the marketplace — and we are competitive,” said Friedrich Baumann, Navistar President for Aftersales and Alliance Management, during a meeting with reporters here. “Now we need to create the right services with this product and it’s all about growth and regrowth of our business. We have to change our mindset to make the long view to get us to where we want to be in three to five years from now.”

He pointed to two recent moves the company has made to help it achieve that goal:

On August 26, Navistar will open a new 300,000-square-foot parts distribution center near FedEx’s World Hub in Memphis, Tennessee, allowing for parts delivery anywhere in the country, often in less than 12 hours.

On August 1, the company launched a new service network with Love’s Travel Centers and Speedco that will provide warranty and other repairs to 500 service bays nationwide, and access to an additional 1,300 technicians.

The company provided data that showed industrywide, just 45% of trucks that are in for service are back on the road within 24 hours. Baumann stressed that increasing that turnaround time to less than 24 hours will improve customer loyalty by increasing the amount of time the truck is on the road.

The company noted that predictive analytics will help, by determining in advance when a truck needs to visit the shop, reducing the amount of time it takes to get the needed parts and complete repairs.

In addition, Baumann told Transport Topics that by strengthening its existing dealer network, Navistar can further improve its relationship with its customers.

Baumann also noted that Navistar is on track to increase its new truck market share by the end of its fiscal year in October to more than 18%, and is pushing to increase that share to at least 25% by 2025.

Photo 5.jpg

• Like 1

I wrench for the Illinois Tollway and they own about 200 trucks only 10 are not Navijunks,  IH puts out some real piles of junk constantly have big problems, meanwhile the frieghtshakers with come-aparts just get oil changes and keep going. some of the Navijunk repeat problems external coolant leak from cylinder head casting, bad cam/ cam followers, replacing pucks and injectors nearly every 4000 hours, engine harness and trans. harness failures before 8000 hours. At any given time 10% of the IH trucks are in the shop for major repairs, if they want to increase market share they must produce a more reliable product!!!!

I'm telling you what we have and I disagree with your assessment. I have owned my own trucks, had a repair shop and currently work part time in my own repair shop besides working full time at the tollway and i have never seen so many problems as i have with IH and I'm not the only one, IH spent a great deal of money in recent years for warranty claims and also they are the defendant in multiple lawsuits over their junk engines it is all a matter of public record. If you have had good luck with them you are ahead of the game.

One of my customers had a new IH that he only drove for 20K miles in the course of 3 years because it spent so much time at the dealer, in comparison his other trucks racked up an avg. of 180K miles each during that time frame none of those where IH with the exception of two which are 1998 and 2000 model year IH.

Now we can go on and on with anecdotal evidence but I have my opinion and you have yours let us leave it at that.

4 hours ago, Prowrench said:

The engines are all inline 6  DT466, DT570, DT9, DT10, NG9, NG10 translation boat anchors!

I think the early 466 were tough good engines; I helped a buddy for about a year & he had a fleet of farmall trucks that he worked on for a company; the newer 1’s with the oil pressure bs injection & the egr coolers were very troublesome. They had some 540’s too. They were troublesome with coolers & harnesses & head gaskets like you mentioned. Idk if they made the 540 before the egr & oil pressure injection.

the older engines were good and HEUI (oil pressure injectors) is a good system but IH became problematic around 2000 and has got worse as the emission standards became more stringent. Current production trucks with IH engines have the SCR system designed and built by Cummins probably because IH lost so much money in warranty claims and law suits they didn't have money or the time frame for R&D. The EPA was sued by Mack,Volvo, Cummins, and Penske (Detroit Diesel) because the EPA gave IH an unfair market advantage by allowing IH to use credits and later pay a fine per engine because when everyone else needed to use DEF IH claimed they met current standards without it, when in-fact they didn't meet current standards that's why they used up credits and later payed a fine per engine to continue selling trucks that didn't meet EPA standards.

I have witnessed the pin on the cam roller fail time and time again and taking out the cam in the process. I have replaced more cams in the past 8 years on IH than all of the cam and valve-train work combined in my 40 years as a mechanic. More failed injectors and pucks in the past 8 years than all injectors, nozzles and pumps in my 40 years wrenching. engine harness and ECM failure rate is outrageous, seems to me they gave up on the quality standard of the pre 2000 IH engines in their struggle to meet EPA standards.

• Like 1