Do you mean the one that requires two air filters in one housing like this R model is plumbed? This is an endt676 285hp maxidyne, 1979. It has the engine mounted charge air cooler if that's what you are asking about. Turbo air is sucked through that lower intake  tube on the housing. Some compressed turbo air spills over to to run a Tip Turbine that sucks air through the upper filter tube, and that air blows across the engine mounted charge air cooler.

I may have mixed up which housing.tube goes to which function. One is intake air, other is tip turbine, which after it goes through the charge air cooler is just vented into the engine compartment. They did away with this charge air cooler in the early 80s I believe, and went to the Chassis Mounted Charge Air Cooler, which is just an intercooler mounted in front of the radiator. My E7-350 has the chassis mount cooler. Engine fan and vehicle speed do all the work instead of having a tip turbine.  Atmosphere air hits the intercooler, then the radiator on modern setups.

KIMG0298~5.JPG

Yes I was inquiring about the chassis mounted set up that came out with the E-6 350 hp. (Econodyne perhaps) Was the chassis mounted set up also available for the E-7. I may be wrong that this chassis mounted set up started with the E-6. How long of a run did the chassis mounted air to air system have.

What replaced it? Seemed to be a good idea at the time.

Edited by james j neiweem

To me it seems the chassis mounted aftercoolers take place on the most modern trucks till now.

And I'm pretty sure all E7's were equipped with CMCAC. I would imagine E7 having none of that if a non-turbo E7. But I too doubt naturally aspirated E7's ever existed.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

The ENGINE mount got replaced by the chassis mount which is still used today. Early 80s did away with the engine mount. Endt676 motor is the precursor to the E6. They use pretty much the same exact block, but the E6 is a 4 valve per cylinder whereas the endt676 is a 2 valve per cylinder. Endt676 peaked at 283-287 hp whereas the E6 does 300-350 hp.

• Like 1

Endt675 and endt676 are both maxidyne engines, 237hp and 283-287 respectively. EM6 is a maxidyne E6, but the E6-350 is not a maxidyne.

The maxidynes have a massive power band, making at least 90% peak torque from 1100-1200 rpms all the way to the governor. This allowed them to run less gears in the transmissions, and earn a hell of a reputation.

• Like 1