Hi Guys, I'm kind of new to this. I've been basically a car guy and vintage auto appraiser. I had been having some interest in old fire trucks and was asked to appraise a 1939 Mack FG Dump truck.

The truck is beautiful and completely restored. I know there were 162 built between 1938 and 1942. I was told they are rare and seldom come to market. I've seen the pictures here of the one with the backhoe on it. I'm told another sold inside of 2 years ago for $300,000.

My problem is I can't find a way to put a value on this other than the restoration costs. Can anyone tell me the value of these trucks any any past sales?

Thank you,

Dave

Once upon a time I had an equally rare FN.  Many years later, an Australian asked me (via the wonders of the internet) if I still had it. I told him that I sold it in the late 1980s. He asked if I could find it and buy it for him. I asked how much. He said "name your price".

Sadly I could not find it, but in terms of value of something like an FG the price you quoted must be close.

Its very hard to put a value on things that rarely trade hands... I think the truck that you are thinking of that sold was the Wellington Fjs that Pat bought a few years ago. An fj is more sought after then a fg and that particular truck had a history to go with it and that’s worth something to. If this is an appraisal for insurance, you are going to have to back up your appraisal with evidence to get an agreed value. The cost of restoration is irrelevant to the insurance companies. If you spend a million dollars restoring a pinto , it still isn’t worth anything. If you tell them it’s worth 300k I think they will have time with that on an agreed value policy. That being said, if your just looking for a value, and it is a 100% correct truck, the truck could be worth into the 200k neighborhood to the right buyer......

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

Thanks for responding. I do know about the Wellington Truck now. It was part of what I was after. I was also trying to put a value on something with no comparables, So my approach was a replacement value rather than a fair market value. I think I can do both now. 

This Truck is at Matt Pfal's and he's been great, a lot of fun and taught me a lot. Problem is for my appraisal network (that has used his expertise before) it's a conflict of interest this time with him being the restorer. I need some other folks to validate his opinion or shed light on the subject to get these people some coverage on their investment. The more meat I can add to the story the better. Hopefully I could set a precedent for these vehicles that seldom change hands and get some justifications on the restoration costs to replacement value.

This truck is #1 condition and as a bonus seems to be the only on of these F series or at least FG that is still with the original owners. There is lots of documentation and photos from the past along with a pile of receipts for the restoration.   

Dave

• Like 1

Wonder it it is the old Kemp FG.

The Motor Transport Museum in Campo,  California has 2 FG's

Motor Transport Museum.

31949 California 94

Campo, CA 91906

(619) 478-2492

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE