2012 MP8 pressuring up cooling system

c-mac

I’ve got Mack chi 613 with an mp8 that’s blowing coolant out the overflow hose of the coolant tank mounted above the radiator. I’ve already pinched off the coolant lines to the compressor and it builds up to 15 psi in the tank. Is there anything other than a head or head gasket problem that will cause this?

Edited by c-mac

I edited my post. It’s a 12 model and I have an 08 with the same problem. I’m not sure if either has had the cups and injectors replaced. I work on a large fleet and they don’t keep good records..(oilfield). My self I write on the date and hours on the valve cover. I thought I had seen all the symptoms til now.

The two most common as mentioned are the cups and egr cooler! Start at the cooler and work back remove the outlet of the egr hose lower front and check for dampness in the cooler! check the surge tank as mentioned however that should have showed up before  now!

Ok I pulled the cooler because I seen what looks like tiny red droplets of coolant and the inside of the housing is damp and sooty. I’m not sure if what appears to be red droplets is coolant. What do y’all think? You may need to blow up the pic to see

7C06A244-3CF3-4649-86FB-679658B70E31.jpeg

Edited by c-mac

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 11:03 AM, Mackpro said:

Injector cup can cause the issue. If a worn tool is used to install the cup, then compression can come between the cup and head and cause is issue. But being a 2018 it’s unlikely 

ok the cooler took care of the one I posed the pick of. The next one has a new cooler and compressor. I guess someone else has been

chasing this problem too. I checked the newish cooler, it was clean and dry. I clamped pinch off the coolant line to the compress and ran the engine at 1000rpm. The cooling system got up to 13psi. I left the system a little low of coolant so as not to blow it back out. I pulled the overflow hose up and stuck it down a bottle of water and light bubbles were present and the coolant tube from the back of the thermostat housing to the coolant tank was jumping. I cant thing of any other way of determining if it is cups or a head problem. This one is an 08 model built date is 11/07. Not sure if it has copper or stainless cups of if they have been changed

On 2/15/2019 at 9:00 AM, Mackpro said:

Quick question, on the expansion tank on top of your radiator. On the drivers side of it, is the pressure cap on it blue or black? The problems ones were blue, the updated ones are black. I got the service bulletin but I cant post it here due to size  but will PM you .

It’s black and the tank is new

On 2/14/2019 at 5:37 PM, fjh said:

Your only choice is to lift an injector to see what cups are in there in my opinion! Assuming it is cup issue

Gonna pull the injectors Monday. I guess if it has stainless, I’ll change just the cups. If there copper I’ll put in a six pack. The engine runs fine other than on cold start it has a little rough idle for about three seconds which my be a little coolant in the suspect cylinder 

• 2 weeks later...

Pulled the injectors and the original copper cups. Didn't see anything out of the ordinary with the cups, all looked about the same. I'm going to go back with new injectors and cups. Hope this takes care of it, I dont want the boss to loose faith.

• 3 years later...

I have same issues, collant overflow , my mechanic change the injector cup ( they are leaking) but still have same issues . Now It very low amount collant  overflowing. But could be another reason for loosing power and coolant overflow??

I have changed the water pump , thermostat, air compressor, now changed injector cup , still have same Problem overflow but low amount collant?? What could be next please??

Edited by Bal
Forget to add something

Id suggest starting your own thread on this, however there is more than enough information on this topic. For now you may want to do a combustion gas test on the cooling system to verify and what direction next. It could be cups if not installed correctly, it could be egr cooler, or head gasket. Keep in mind that correctly refilling these newer trucks with coolant is very important, not to have any air pockets. They create hot spots and can burn out egr coolers very quickly.