How to adjust valves on a mack without markings on flywheel

Mack donalds

Hey everyone my name is Donald I work at alescon Trinidad  I'm having a problem with adjusting valves on a mack  I've done it before using the flywheels marks on other mack engines 1&6 etc but I'm working on a 1994  e7 em7 mack engine and sadly the flywheel has no Mark's , took out the injectors and found tdc but someone told me you dont adjust direct at tdc can some one help me out

Engines normally have marks around 0° for cylinder 1, can be hard to see though with surface rust and dirt buildup. Wire brush it and spray some penetrating oil or something on it to try and get the numbers to pop. Mechanical engines kinda need to have marks to set the fuel timing advance.

okay thanks for your reply hear me out I found the markings the fly wheel jus needed sanding , but I notice my 1&6 mark are about a couple  degree away from the pointer on the bella housing  when the engine is at tdc or one clutch hole away from the pointer ,what I want to know is do I adjust the valve lash at tdc or work with my markings 1&6 ,2&5, 3&4  and I know that I have to adjust on compression stroke using firing order .(note i took out an injector and incerted a screwdriver in the hole to find tdc )

8 minutes ago, Mack donalds said:

okay thanks for your reply hear me out I found the markings the fly wheel jus needed sanding , but I notice my 1&6 mark are about a couple  degree away from the pointer on the bella housing  when the engine is at tdc or one clutch hole away from the pointer ,what I want to know is do I adjust the valve lash at tdc or work with my markings 1&6 ,2&5, 3&4  and I know that I have to adjust on compression stroke using firing order .(note i took out an injector and incerted a screwdriver in the hole to find tdc )

Your timing marks reference injection timing and valves have to be closed on the compression stroke. You should be able to run the overhead, (adjust valves) by the timing pointer indication at it's reference mark.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Google Mack engine book 5-101. It will have everything you need to know and then some for that motor. Mine is out in the garage, won't have access to it for a few days to look up the procedure.

Not sure if that engine uses flywheel markings or damper wheel markings. We always write with a marker on the damper wheel and put 1/6, 2/5 etc by the corresponding mark. We find TDC by feeling which set of exhaust/intake valves are loose at a given mark. Never pulled an injector out to find TDC.

8 hours ago, theakerstwo said:

On that engine You don't adj the valves at TDC but you will find a another mark for 1&6 mark  2&5 3&4 to use which amounts to 20 degress after TDC.Reason is there is a dylotard cam in it 

A good reason to have the book! But the forum can be just as good!

• Like 1