In-Frame on a MP-8

JakeBrake

I'm looking to buy a 2014 Pinnacle with a MP-8, it has 485K miles on it, never had a in-frame, and no evidence that a 250K mile service was done.

This will be my first Mack, I have no idea how long these engines last.

Can anyone tell me about how much a In-Frame will cost on a MP8 and who's the best to take it to?

I'm at 602,000 miles, only ever ran the overhead. Truck is on 3rd set of injectors/cups. Motor runs strong, oil stays clean as could be, and don't use a drop between 10k changes. I fully intend to see 1 million out of this motor before an overhaul. I'm not saying things won't break along the way obviously, but the core of the motor itself is good to go the million. 

Edited by Rockwell

Valve spring failure  and bull gear failures  can be a death sentence to these truck when getting over the 750,000 mile mark. We had 3 parked out back of my old work that were just to costly to repair. You do a in-frame on a million mile engine for $15,000 then only to have the bull gear go out or valve spring break later down the road. These engines are very labor intensive  and the only way I would proceed would be a complete reman Mack engine. Every thing new/rebuilt  and under warranty. Then you gotta ask, is this $25,000-30,000 truck worth a $30,000 engine?  Roll the dice and truck on till a major failure then part it out or off to the scrap metal  business, that's the way it seems to work around here sadly.

• Sad 1

Volvo doesn't design these new trucks for us, they design them for the big fleets that get a $150K truck for $100K, take an immediate chapter 179 depreciation tax credit, run the wheels off it, then sell it before the warranty runs out. Good luck to the second and further owners...

• Like 1

I know the only reason a fleet will sell a truck is if it's getting to costly to repair.  the truck it's self is in amazing shape, clean everything works.  my only concern is the drivetrain and the crappy 1.85 the brokers are paying today.  I looked at 2016's with under 250K miles on them they want 65K plus for them.

On 11/26/2018 at 11:09 AM, Mackpro said:

Valve spring failure  and bull gear failures  can be a death sentence to these truck when getting over the 750,000 mile mark. We had 3 parked out back of my old work that were just to costly to repair. You do a in-frame on a million mile engine for $15,000 then only to have the bull gear go out or valve spring break later down the road. These engines are very labor intensive  and the only way I would proceed would be a complete reman Mack engine. Every thing new/rebuilt  and under warranty. Then you gotta ask, is this $25,000-30,000 truck worth a $30,000 engine?  Roll the dice and truck on till a major failure then part it out or off to the scrap metal  business, that's the way it seems to work around here sadly.

So would it then be wise to rebuild the heads at about 700k? Or no, to costly? 

• 4 years later...