1972 CF mack

willie

If you are polishing chromed diamond plate break out the brown tripoli and start buffing with a machine and s stiff wheel ,finish with a finer compound  red or white and a softer wheel. If it is not chromed  paint it silver  or use one of the chrome paints

• Thanks 1

Gear jam'n fool

I am not sure what type of transmission it has 

it doesn't have cab tilt to look and the owners manual was lost when we moved stations in the early 2000's

it is a manual 4 or 5 speed transmission

the last time it was driven the shifter slipped and we were unable to get it into any gear besides neutral we had to drag it back to the station with our brush truck 

I don't really know how a manual transmission works to be honest nor does anyone at the department 

we are trying to fix it to register it as a antique/classic apparatus for parades and special events

below is the information listed on the registration

#CF685F10-1768

Where is your dept located?

Take a look at the snifter rod ( linkage ) going from the cab to the trans. Could be loose, broken or worn.

Contact the MACK museum about a manual. They are all volunteer so a donation for the info is always helpful.   Paul

Edited by 41chevy
  • Thanks 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

16 minutes ago, willie said:

41 Chevy/Paul thank you for the advice I will look at that tomorrow 

our department is located in wake county, North Carolina 

I will not give out the department name per chief request 

Only asked because where you are can affect how fast or slow you can get any parts you might need.   Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

If the shift rods are broken and you have all the parts a decent welding shop or machine shop should be able to repair it or make a new one  some times they bind up from lack of lubrication and forcing a shift will bend the rod so they cant shift.

If you want to paint  the diamond plate and it is rusty you can use a scotch  bride type of pad  on a 4" grinder or even a smaller roloc pad on a die grinder . they also have a spot sand blaster that is self contained  and it also works well

• Thanks 1

I was also told by another person it may be a one of the shift forks

like i said I have no clue how a manual transmission works 

this truck has not been used as a front line engine in about 10 years we drove it periodically to keep it running

if it is a shift fork how would I find where it is at and how would I find the shifter rod

Thank you all for your help so far and thanks in advance