Idle problems!?

MOloghauler

I’m running a ‘93 RD688s with an E7 350 mechanical motor. Engine runs great empty and has tons of power, but if I have it in a hard pull or a long run loaded it has a very uneven idle. revs up to almost 1,000 rpm then will bog down to around 400 and kind of “shutter” like it wants to die then pick back up and rev up high again. Even seems to be lacking on power at times when loaded especially in warmer weather. But again, it runs great when empty no matter how long or hard I run it. Not sure if that could possibly be a problem with the pump getting too hot, or sucking air in the fuel system somewhere? Any advice is greatly appreciated! 

Good to run a temporary line and gauge break-in from the circuit leaving the fuel pump and monitor pressure during the event. An eye glass would also be helpful. 

Couple times have seen junk in tanks, even a Dixie cup and once a bread bag. Leaking suction line. Cracked tank stand-pipe, etc. Quick way to rule out a lot of issues is running a hose out of your tank fill to your first filter (temporarily). 

Thank you all! I kind of had the same thought as Terry with the governor just based on other older diesel equipment I’ve been around. But will definitely check everything else. One thing I forgot to mention, there is a crack on my turbo housing right where it bolts to the exhaust manifold. What kind of problems could that be causing, if any? I don’t have a boost gauge so I really have nothing to judge it by