Anti freeze coming out of blowby tube

Bill Ran

We have 2 problems with this truck,

1. small amount of antifreeze coming out of blowby tube while running. It goes through 1 gal every other week.

2. There is a rattling sound when compressor comes on and goes away when the governor cuts out. Compressor , governor and air dryer has been replaced.

Truck is an 04 RD 688s with a 427 and 18 spd trans vin 067670, any help would be appreciated.

2004.jpg

I personally would be more concerned about the anifreeze situation You need to pull the pan and put a pressure test on the cooling system to identify wear the coolant has come from! Oil cooler? or Liners  are the common areas  There are some other  areas of interest Not as likly but not worth mentioning till you check The first step  Specially if this has just started!

Edited by fjh

We are planing on pulling the pan and do pressure test. I can not remember that while doing the pressure test what the problem is in relation to where the antifreeze is coming from like outside the liners or inside, if this makes sense. What I can't understand is why does it come out of blowby. Pulling pan this weekend. Thanks

Vaporized By engine heat! Your valve covers will likely be full of goo depending on how long this has been going on!  Heat rises nature of the beast! 

It will likely be coming from around  the outside of the liner silicone is used to seal the lower liner lip ! We've  had very few oil cooler issues! head plugs can leak as well however very remote!

Edited by fjh
  • Thanks 1

Pull vavle covers and check the big pipe plugs on top of the heads.  You can see signs of crusted antifreeze around them if they are leaking.  If they are pull and put pipe thread sealer around or rubber silicone and re install.  I would also check oil cooler too.  We have seen it leak around the big o ring on the end, we had one that would not show under pressure, put it back on and pulled the oil pan and showed no leaks, finally we replaced the oil cooler and it cured it. Happy hunting.

22 minutes ago, wilbur said:

Wouldnt the oil cooler leak oil into antifreeze.?  Had this happen. There is 60psi on the oil and 10 psi on the coolant. I would think the 60 would win.

Till you shut the engine off, then there is 0 psi oil pressure and 15 PSI coolant. Generally you will see oil in tank first, but always change oil immediately after a cooler failure. 

• Like 1