Can Mack dealer program ecm for ETECH?

freightliner575

33 minutes ago, Mack Technician said:

There is one guy up here who can do it and one guy in Kentucky who can do it. The rest of the country seems to be given over to gray engine amnesia. 

the OP seems to have gotten the same run around i did when i wanted mine done. thanks to mackpro for hooking me up :) been a year almost without a single issues with his work. 

• Like 1

new resized.jpg

I'm not sure, but you maybe better off just doing the hardware and not the software. I think I remember reading that the fuel delivery and timing works better with the bigger turbo and injectors.....like I said, I'm not sure. 

9 hours ago, Mack Technician said:

There is one guy up here who can do it and one guy in Kentucky who can do it. The rest of the country seems to be given over to gray engine amnesia. 

thanks to everyone, Mack Tech and 2000CL713, do you mind giving me some info to contact these guys? my email is freightliner575@yahoo.ca.

• Like 1

yea. like stated just sending him a PM and he will reply back to you. sometimes it takes him a bit since im sure hes a busy man as someone with his knowledge would be but he will get with you or he will post in here. hes helped me out alot (and mack technician) with my questions and tbh if it wasnt for his work on my computer i most likely would sold that CL bc i wasnt happy with the 427hp file but your going from a 350hp to 427hp so you should be happy with that. big jump for you. hope everything works out. 

have your year/model/vin ready bc he will need that info and whatever upgrades you have done. 

new resized.jpg

from the factory my truck is a E7-427hp (heavy o/o spec) which has the same setup as the 460hp motors just different programming. i had it upgraded to a 460XT file  which is not the normal 460 file. the 460XT is 490hp and the regular 460 is 460hp.  going from the 427hp file to the 460XT (490hp) file was night and day. felt like a whole different truck. didnt have to change anything else since my truck from the factory comes with the same parts. 

what i did tho was bought a whole different ECM and had the 460XT programmed put on that new ECM and kept my original ECM with the 427hp file on it so now i have both bc the 460XT is becoming very hard to have done since Mack will not release it most people and so i could put it back to factory settings if i ever sold the truck or had a bad ECM i had a spare for backup. 

as far as differences its like i said before. i would sold the truck without that 460XT file lol. i was very disappointed with the 427hp file. some people like it and some dont. it didnt work for me. from the day i bought that truck i didnt like the power but once it was uprated to the 460XT it was a whole different animal. not something id put in the hands of a newb bc he will tear shit up without a doubt. it makes more power all over the RPM range. i now gets out of its own way. traffic has to keep up with me now. not the other way around lol the down side is that MPG has dropped from 7mpg to around 5.5mpg which is a trade off im willing to make bc of how unhappy i was with the 427hp but i can always go back to it bc i have both ECM's. 

you going from 350hp to 427hp im use will be night and day as well bc thats even more of a drastic HP change then i did. whats nice about the 427hp file is the MPG it gets and its safe. wont have to worry about braking shit and the truck will run forever. coolant temps and pyro temps will always be safe as well. if the truck is not in tip-top condition the 427hp file wont find the weak link, with the 460XT it will but i keep my trucks at there best. all the updates/grades that have came out with over the years have been done whether its better oiling system or better pushrods. you name it. id had it done. 

new resized.jpg

9 hours ago, 2000CL713 said:

from the factory my truck is a E7-427hp (heavy o/o spec) which has the same setup as the 460hp motors just different programming. i had it upgraded to a 460XT file  which is not the normal 460 file. the 460XT is 490hp and the regular 460 is 460hp.  going from the 427hp file to the 460XT (490hp) file was night and day. felt like a whole different truck. didnt have to change anything else since my truck from the factory comes with the same parts. 

what i did tho was bought a whole different ECM and had the 460XT programmed put on that new ECM and kept my original ECM with the 427hp file on it so now i have both bc the 460XT is becoming very hard to have done since Mack will not release it most people and so i could put it back to factory settings if i ever sold the truck or had a bad ECM i had a spare for backup. 

Ok I understand. My truck is a 2002 CL, and it has the ccrs engine, So im told 460 XT is not an option for me because it wasn't offered in the ccrs engines. But I have learned that going with the 460 injectors and 427 programming and 427 turbo(because it doesn't have wastegate) is my best option. Who did you get to do your ECM programming? Im having a very hard time trying to get someone to program my ecm, I would also look at buying a used ecm with the right programming if I knew where to look.

i dont know if id buy a computer like that only bc id want to make sure it in fact has the program on it that they say plus some changes might need to be made for gauges and whatnot. turn stuff on or off depending what each truck was speced from the factory. 

as far as who can do it mackpro should know about that. hes your best bet and can guide you with that. he works for MACK. 

new resized.jpg

2 hours ago, freightliner575 said:

Ok I understand. My truck is a 2002 CL, and it has the ccrs engine, So im told 460 XT is not an option for me because it wasn't offered in the ccrs engines. But I have learned that going with the 460 injectors and 427 programming and 427 turbo(because it doesn't have wastegate) is my best option. Who did you get to do your ECM programming? Im having a very hard time trying to get someone to program my ecm, I would also look at buying a used ecm with the right programming if I knew where to look.

Possibility of programming your EECU/VECU would require both someone who can do it and a donor chassis to put your computer in so it can be interfaced. Our used truck line use to see a lot of action at the dealership, mostly swapping computers back and forth with the customer trucks to diagnose logic issues. Hard on the salesmen, but the customer trumped the politics. 

You try Manders Diesel for ECM? 

Edited by Mack Technician

I am no longer working at a dealership. Due to high turnover of employees at dealerships and the fact the "Grey engines " have not been built in 10 years, most dealerships have no one to do the programming on the older ECMs . It's really tricky in swapping VINs and ECMs and programming over the original files. There is no one left at my old dealership that knows how to do it. Now if you had one go bad they could probably program a replacement but even that would be very time consuming for them. 

im sorry to hear that mackpro. sucks things have come to that for such a great engine and great Mack mechanic that you are that know the ins and outs of them.

alot of people have Macks in my area. from old superlines to brand new trucks. closest dealer is over an hr away (one way) and most  diesel mechanic here are not the best when it comes to mack stuff. someone opening there own shop thats mack based would be a life saver for many guys. 

samething happened to the dealer here. none of the old timers are left. all gone and all the people there dont know jack shit. they barely know how to fix things on the new stuff. 

new resized.jpg

18 hours ago, 2000CL713 said:

as far as differences its like i said before. i would sold the truck without that 460XT file lol. i was very disappointed with the 427hp file. some people like it and some dont. it didnt work for me. from the day i bought that truck i didnt like the power but once it was uprated to the 460XT it was a whole different animal. not something id put in the hands of a newb bc he will tear shit up without a doubt. it makes more power all over the RPM range. i now gets out of its own way. traffic has to keep up with me now. not the other way around lol the down side is that MPG has dropped from 7mpg to around 5.5mpg which is a trade off im willing to make bc of how unhappy i was with the 427hp but i can always go back to it bc i have both ECM's. 

you going from 350hp to 427hp im use will be night and day as well bc thats even more of a drastic HP change then i did. whats nice about the 427hp file is the MPG it gets and its safe. wont have to worry about braking shit and the truck will run forever. coolant temps and pyro temps will always be safe as well. if the truck is not in tip-top condition the 427hp file wont find the weak link, with the 460XT it will but i keep my trucks at there best. all the updates/grades that have came out with over the years have been done whether its better oiling system or better pushrods. you name it. id had it done. 

If I may ask, how much for the 460XT ECM?

10 minutes ago, Mack Technician said:

For the “whole different ECM that had the 460XT programmed”?

oh lol yea you would need to buy the whole truck if you want that part and even then i might not sell it with the truck and just install the 427 ECM in it lol i just cant go back now lol 

new resized.jpg

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:53 PM, 2000CL713 said:

Ok, So who did you get to reprogram the ecm you bought?

25 minutes ago, freightliner575 said:

Ok, So who did you get to reprogram the ecm you bought?

mackpro did mine, think i said it in my first post in this thread, i could be wrong.  he did mine but hes no longer with mack as he also posted here so dont think thats an opt for you any longer. 

• Sad 2

new resized.jpg

• 2 years later...