Mack MP8 Tools Vs. Volvo D13 Tools, Buyer beware.

4 hours ago, 1965 said:

Don’t think it matters; none of the cups work anyways. Couldn’t help myself. 

Lol, guess what I was doing at work today ?.................yep , cups and injectors. However it wasn't the cups fault this time. 4 of the reman injectiors were leaking fuel into the oil. 3 were slightly leaking around the plunger/spring . One was leaking badly at the injectior body above the head level. This is not the first time we have had this happen 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Mackpro said:

Lol , I hope no one really thinks I said that! And a Ezra Brooks, my favorite bourbon this week! Even though it's not a true bourbon ( not made in KY) So many to choose from down here. 

YUP An d You Said It out LOUD! 😂

9 hours ago, Mackpro said:

Lol, guess what I was doing at work today ?.................yep , cups and injectors. However it wasn't the cups fault this time. 4 of the reman injectiors were leaking fuel into the oil. 3 were slightly leaking around the plunger/spring . One was leaking badly at the injectior body above the head level. This is not the first time we have had this happen 

9 hours ago, Mackpro said:

Good to see the reman center is keeping its bulldog reputation as well! Same old same old!😣🙄

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:21 AM, kscarbel2 said:

I like Deere

Deere is our cost/downtime money pit. Issue is under built front ends on Deere and CAT. We use tight-circle machines that can maneuver under a 16-18 yard bucket, so far only the Volvo can do it without ruining the front end.

Machine/hours/cost per hour. All separate machines from a snapshot. Last three can be grouped for age. Add 4% for every year of age differential.

John D 824K       24,963     $15.77 (without collision damage included $14.17 per hour)

John D 824K       22,963     $15.42

Group

2014 cost   John D 824K         19,501    $12.40

2014 cost     Cat 972K             18,321     $13.39 (without collision damage included $9.83 per hour)

2018 cost      Volvo L180H      17,232      $7.08

Edited by Mack Technician

• 8 months later...
On 8/17/2018 at 9:21 AM, Mack Technician said:

Is this what you ended up with or am I outdated? Keep in mind we are in 2010 emissions so I'm possibly outdated to the dealer intentionally. The pictured L180HL machine showed up without a common rail.

Inj Cup Puller

1054579621_cuppuller.JPG.bf0839a692aeab1ebbfee8bdb3f791c0.JPG

Inj Cup Swedge

1526814167_cupswedge.thumb.JPG.d24c860a6e55ae7f1de750fb0927bc3a.JPG

The latest design cup installer pushes a teardrop shaped piece down through the cup tip and then pulls it back through. I've never seen a puller like that.

On 8/17/2018 at 6:04 PM, Mackpro said:

Actually there are 3 install tools. One for stainless cups, one for the early stepped bottom copper cups and one for the standard flat bottom copper cups. 

Do you have the part number for the install tool for conicals? I never knew they had one other than the pull thru. Is the push thru easier to use?

The 8888.... number at bottom of screen is a bag with replacement swag bits. If you see VOE on the box that is a “Volvo Original Equipment” number. That means it was cheaper to buy from Volvo. If you want the numbers Grab it since I have to erase pics soon, too little storage left. If you give Mack the Volvo number of any of these their system will automatically supersede to a Mack #. 

Edited by Mack Technician

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 7:06 AM, fjh said:

Good to see the reman center is keeping its bulldog reputation as well! Same old same old!😣🙄

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:00 PM, Mackpro said:

Are you guys seeing many tip break off's when removing SS conical cups Vs copper cups?

Only saw a few of the stainless cup tips break off. Saw lots of the copper cup tip break off when using the newer style puller. Lucky we held onto the old style tool that taps threads into the cup tip and then uses a pulller that threads into the cup . 

3 hours ago, Mackpro said:

Only saw a few of the stainless cup tips break off. Saw lots of the copper cup tip break off when using the newer style puller. Lucky we held onto the old style tool that taps threads into the cup tip and then uses a pulller that threads into the cup . 

And don't get lazy when tapping the copper sleeve and not go all the way thru. Ask me how I know. Had to pull the head for that mistake.

12 hours ago, Mack Technician said:

The 8888.... number at bottom of screen is a bag with replacement swag bits. If you see VOE on the box that is a “Volvo Original Equipment” number. That means it was cheaper to buy from Volvo. If you want the numbers Grab it since I have to erase pics soon, too little storage left. If you give Mack the Volvo number of any of these their system will automatically supersede to a Mack #. 

Thank you!

On 5/23/2019 at 6:58 PM, steeler said:

And don't get lazy when tapping the copper sleeve and not go all the way thru. Ask me how I know. Had to pull the head for that mistake.

We would pull the intake manifold off and drop the intake valve down. Then blow air into the injector hole and blow the little pieces out the intake . Saved us form pulling the head off . 

• Thanks 1

On 5/28/2019 at 1:47 PM, Mackpro said:

We would pull the intake manifold off and drop the intake valve down. Then blow air into the injector hole and blow the little pieces out the intake . Saved us form pulling the head off . 

Yup, I shoulda bought a valve spring compressor!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...