The Dubai Road Express | Legends of Long Haulage

kscarbel2

4 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

I probably should have made sure BC Mack had an ample amount of pills before posting.

took a pill, washed down with a bottle of Efes pilsner just to get in the mood....

unfortunately youtube has removed "destination doha" due to copyright issues but that was the definitive cult movie for the "gold run"....

BC Mack

On 7/13/2018 at 9:39 AM, BC Mack said:

took a pill, washed down with a bottle of Efes pilsner just to get in the mood....

unfortunately youtube has removed "destination doha" due to copyright issues but that was the definitive cult movie for the "gold run"....

BC Mack

I have the "Destination Doha" film ,when I get a chance and find it I will load it up 

There is quite few good films from this era  from around  the world on long distance truck driving and oddly I have never seen any US ones other than Hollywood type films 

Dubai Road Express Film – Full Movie in High Definition

Scania Group Press Release  /  August 15, 2018

In 1976, Scania commissioned a film to document the maiden trucking journey between Norway and Dubai on a route called the Dubai Road Express. More than four decades later, this film has become a piece of history.

The year prior, Norwegian trucking company Johan Evensen & Sønner had completed its last of 106 journeys to Bandar Abbas on the southern coast of Iran, and was looking for new opportunities. It was the next year, when the tanker Serpens Constellation had an unexpected breakdown in the middle of the Atlantic, that Jan was given the mission of a lifetime. A necessary spare part, made in Norway, needed to be delivered to Dubai, where the ship could pick it up while en route into the Persian Gulf.

For the drivers of such routes, leaving home meant being away from their families for weeks at a time, often without knowing exactly when they would be back or what challenges they would encounter along the way.

In the end, the Dubai Road Express turned out to be short-lived. Once the inaugural trip was over, transport company Johan Evensen & Sønner made the decision to cancel the route. The loose sand between Doha and Dubai, accompanied by relentless heat that disabled important support systems, meant the route was just not worth the trouble.

• Like 1