This can't be good:

Rob

Was warming the water truck this morning to go and give my lane a good soak as it's so dry and I just graded the gravel last week. I started smelling coolant as the truck warmed so got a look and sure enough, this is what I found after backing the truck out:

Closer examination reveals either the rear seal has gone bad, or the seal on the cylinder block to pump housing has gone bad. These pumps are direct driven. This is an 866 I have apart in my other RL-797LST. The square cut "O" ring I suspect let go:

Just like an water to oil cooler, when these rings let go, they promptly add oil quantity to the pan too which mine is no exception. Guess the truck is due for annual service so no real big deal and nothing other than the water pump seems damaged. I'll pull it and send it off to be rebuilt. It's down in this mess:

Well the way one thing leads to another means I'll pull the radiator sending it in for cleaning and checkover, water pump will be rebuilt by "waterpumpkit.com" in Houston, ( http://waterpumpkit.com/ ) new hoses, belts, and a few air lines that will be readily exposed when opened up. Plus I'll probably wind up with case of hemorrhoids being I'm so tight letting go of money. "Momma" says I'm so tight I squeak when I walk and I don't dare tell her I think she oozes when she tromps.

Oh well, another day in Paradise as they say.....

Edited by Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Interesting setup with that direct driven pump. Good luck on an easy fix. Hope you'll be able to overhaul the issue and the surround fast enough and with no losses.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Rob, on a side note - isn't the problem with oil coolers relate to E6's too? Is there any repair set or special size (and#) for the rubber rings? I might be getting to my water pump in a distant future and would like to have those parts handy.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

I had my first and only hand at rebuilding an oil cooler when I put one on my 237(it was missing).   I cleaned it up, washed it thoroughly in the parts washer to get all the old baked on oil residue out of it.  New O rings and it sealed up nicely.  Should last the time I'm around to drive it.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"