RD822sx dash relay solenoid

Does anybody have the Mack part number for the dash solenoid on a 1985 RD822SX? I’m pretty sure all R models are the same. 

I just picked one up from my local Mack dealer and it looks nothing like the one that came off the truck. I just want to make sure the parts guy sold me a continuous duty solenoid and not a starter solenoid. 

The new part number he gave me is 8609-98226wr.

On 4/16/2018 at 3:45 PM, kscarbel2 said:

No, the one they gave me has the poles around the radius.

I’m just concerned that they gave me a starter solenoid, of which most can only handle intermittent use. 

I usually deal with Watts, but need this ASAP, and didn’t want to wait on shipping. Our local Mack Dealer (McMahon) are idiots.

Grainger has the original style which was manufactured by White-Rogers. PAI also has the original style. PAI #MSW-1245 for four pole continuous duty. MSW-1246 for three pole. These are the original R model styles mouting under the panel on the top of the dash.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

On 4/18/2018 at 7:02 AM, kscarbel2 said:

I meant, what does the original look like?

Yes, the original does look like that. It was a White Rogers. The one from Mack has nothing on it except a sticker that says 12v.

Typically the starter relay is a 2MR338 with 1 small post, and the accessory relay is a similar looking unit (2MR350) albeit with 2 small posts. But then your V8-equipped RD8 has a 24-volt starting system. I’d want an experience Mack parts person to double check it.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I just replaced the dash solenoid in one of my Macks . I told the parts man I wanted a 2MR2114 solenoid. He gave me a Mack/Volvo part # of 8609-98226WR, the same part # as the very first post. The part however looks nothing like the original. I just wanted to share this and some pics for the next person that thinks they may have the wrong part ( like me ) .  Good news is it goes on no problem, and works like it should . :twothumbsup:

This is the original 

IMG_7079.jpeg.fa957de673a764b972225cc89abaf22f.jpeg

This is the new one 

IMG_7078.jpeg.f7e3bc1644e914756fd528835b87c263.jpeg

Keith