12 speed extended range switch leaking in direct

EWB555

I have a 95 RD688s with the 12 speed air shift. The extended range switch on the dash bleeds air when it's in direct. It's so bad we switch it into low in the am to allow it to air up. Everything works fine, I'm just wondering how to I determine if it's the switch or something causing air to bleed back? It is not leaking from the lines to the switch, its coming from the exhaust ports. I appreciate any suggestions.

sounds like the dash switch is bad or the inversion valve is bad . the dash switch has 2 ports that one or the other has pressure going to it depending  on the position of the selector on the stick. if the inversion valve is sticking it may be stuck half open and exhausting when it should not be?

someone just posted this pic the other day

5aae9b6fd3793_12spddiagram-Copy.thumb.jpg.907f2b2f7d380c04062f6a18502675a3.jpg

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Been a while since I posted this. Call me crazy but as soon as temperatures went up during spring & summer this air leak went away. Now here we are in December and it's back again, I replaced the switch today and that was not the problem. I moved the switch on the shifter and that did I not seem to change the air bleed from the dash. The only thing I did realize is that when I switch to low, the leak doesn't go away, it moves to a union in the air line down under the cab.

Isnt the inversion valve what steps down the air pressure? Maybe it's letting too much air to my dash switch.

On 12/24/2018 at 1:51 PM, EWB555 said:

Isnt the inversion valve what steps down the air pressure? Maybe it's letting too much air to my dash switch.

No mate, I'm pretty sure the air regulator number 13 drops the pressure 

Should be around 50 - 60 psi

Paul 

Edited by mrsmackpaul
  • Like 1

The low switch is plumbed exactly the same as number 4 (thats reverse they show there) deep reduction has its own circuit same plumbing How ever! The orings in the cyl are very suspect!Unfortunately  the cyl is hard to get too you must remove the pass side floor panel ! not so bad in a newer or garage kept unit But if its been used in a salt mine watch out! also there is a line that also goes to the puff limit when Low on the stick is selected to limit Torque output!