2000 CL 700 460

beco822

i run a 2000 460 run pretty heavy (around 100k lbs most the time) overall been a pretty good engine. mine is in a cx613 with a Eaton 13speed and 3.70 dana spicer rears. 

pro's

good weight/power

decent mpg

reliability id say middle ground probably 8/10 there not bad iv had some issues with mine but still better than new trucks.

con's

its a 12L with it being a 12L jakes could be better

lacks some grunt down low to pull out out of soft ground. 

narrow power band its going to want to run in the 1400-1800 rpm rang 1600 is its sweet spot. but when its its its sweet spot and the turbo is wound up it pulls like its a big engine. i probably would not like this engine with a 9 or 10 speed but its good with a 13 or 18

so really most its cons are just related to the fact its a smaller displacement engine. overall iv been very happy with mine. 

My buddy down the road has a 1999 CL 460XT with Mack 18 speed he bought new. Got a million 200,000 miles on her. Did a complete inframe at about 950,000. Replaced the dump bed at about the same time.  Only problems. Torque limit switch was unhooked when new but needs to be hooked back up because he breaks an axle shaft about once a year or so in soft ground. The CL shares the Superliner/MH single bolt rear motor mounts that need yearly replacement if you use it hard. The early ETECH's suffered cam/lifted problems that were later updated. The Jacobs engine brakes worked ok when new but in higher mileage units they just became noise makers unless updated

My 2000 CL713 with a 427 (now a 460XT) has been good to me in the almost 10 years id had it. Has 600k on it. Only things that have failed on the motor has been turbo and injectors and fan clutch. Everything else if replace was bc I wanted to just for piece of mind or I had to take it off for some reason and just replaced it with a new part bc I wanted to upgrade. 

My cousin has a 2001 CL713 460 since new and same story with him with things that have failed plus an air compressor. His is close to 800k. 

When it comes to the truck in its whole. Iv had more things break on the interior then anything lol just gets old and brittle over the years. And iv replaced all the susp front to back bc it was starting to sag. Nothing was broken. Just getting weak I guess you can say. We have dump trucks with mack camelback suspension. 

new resized.jpg