Mack E7 water pump bolt problems

beco822

This topic has been discussed before and unfortunately I am at a dead end.Have 2 Water pump bolts that keep breaking off I have replaced the Harmonic Balancer and have updated the bolts with the spacers per Mack’s bulletins on this problem.New fan,new Mack water pump,new Mack fan clutch,water pump housing,belt,belt tensioner,alternator.Everything on the front of this motor is new from Mack and I keep having the same issue.Any help would be much appreciated!

When I bought my 2001 cl new it was doing that. They put 4 water pumps on and the spacer kits. Still ended up snapping bolts. I finally called enough numbers and got engineering, they asked for my opinion. I told them it should have a plastic fan instead of steel. They sent out a new plastic fan and horton clutch and water pump. Mack installed, never had an issue in a million miles. 

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:42 PM, br549 said:

Is this a E-Tech engine or E-7? Are you using the  old pulley on the water pump?  If so try a remack w/pump with the pulley already on it.  If they are out a few thousand they will break the bolts out at high rpm.  This is on an E-Tech engine

Yes sir its an E-tech and I have had 3 different waterpumps since this started.But have been taking the pulley off and reusing it each time>

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:34 PM, Dirtymilkman said:

When I bought my 2001 cl new it was doing that. They put 4 water pumps on and the spacer kits. Still ended up snapping bolts. I finally called enough numbers and got engineering, they asked for my opinion. I told them it should have a plastic fan instead of steel. They sent out a new plastic fan and horton clutch and water pump. Mack installed, never had an issue in a million miles. 

yeah we ditched the 8 blade metal fan and replaced it with a plastic fan and still having the same issue.

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:51 AM, dogg rescue said:

I had this problem, but it was due to having had a bent fan clutch from a belt hopping off. How often do your bolts break? 

replaced original fan clutch with a Kit Masters and after the fourth time breaking the bolts replaced it with an original Horton and no change.Broken bolts 3 more times after the change.

I would try a remack  water pump thru mack  ordered by the by the truck vin with the pulley already installed.  Make sure it has the same type of air fan it came with when it was made I remember some used a real thin spacer between the pulley and air fan, but it might have been a kysor air fan. Give the vin to mack  dealer a see how it came from factory.

• 2 weeks later...