Cracked Frame

slug

Hi guys, looking at a 1985 Mack R model 686. The guy selling is practically giving it away so the question I have is more about how to fix vs. should I buy it. The frame is cracked at the same location on both sides of a double frame tri axle. Crack is about 12 inches long between the rear drive tires at bottom of frame. Any thoughts on what the fix would be? Better to replace the entire frame? Pictures of cracks below. 

23518.jpeg

23520.jpeg

It had a small crack and then the rust got to it between the rails. The best way is to drop the suspension, cross-members and remove the inner rails.

Cut the frame at the cleanest spot and replace outer rail and install new inner rails. 80,000 material for replacement rails. A bunch of work but it 

depends on the shape of the rest of the rig. If it's rough it might be a pass. Problem is when you pull the inner rail out you will probably find thin spots all

through what's left of the main rail.

Truck Shop

Edited by Truck Shop
  • Like 2

One ping only

34 minutes ago, Truck Shop said:

It had a small crack and then the rust got to it between the rails. The best way is to drop the suspension, cross-members and remove the inner rails.

Cut the frame at the cleanest spot and replace outer rail and install new inner rails. 80,000 material for replacement rails. A bunch of work but it 

depends on the shape of the rest of the rig. If it's rough it might be a pass. Problem is when you pull the inner rail out you will probably find thin spots all

through what's left of the main rail.

Truck Shop

Thanks Truck Stop. Yeah, that sounds like a fairly big job. I think I was kind of hoping for a simple, quicker fix but I guess that is what we all "hope"for. haha. Anyway, thanks again. 

• 2 weeks later...

we bought a 2000 rd with 58s last year and the frame had some scale between the rails. i started hitting the frame one day with a sledge to break some of it up and 1 foot hair line cracks started appearing. replaced the rails at donovan in nh for $11k. touch up paint hides a lot when youre selling something...