oil is coming out of an air tank

eric the dutch

I drained the air tanks and out of one air tank came first water and after that oil and I'm talking about a pole of oil.   Out of the wet tank was water first and it turn in to air....what can be the problem..air dryer? compressor piston rings? or something else....I just bought the truck and I don't know how long it was sitting still...its a 2005 rb 688

most the time means its time for a new compressor. if its a new to you truck i would drain and monitor for a while first. could also check your turbo for blowing oil too. but every time i have personally seen a lot of oil in the air tanks a new compressor fixed the problem. a compressor that is passing a lot of oil will ruin your air dryer cartridge as well. 

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I have a 1992 Peterbilt 379, just bought the Truck.. I’m having 2 issues.. 1. My foot brake pedal plunge is frozen stuck.. It’s the button that sit right under the pedal.. Pedal just a free play, when I push on it it’s nothing there, no air release no nothing.. 2. I drained my air tanks, water came out first then yellow goo, then oil.. My air pressure will not build over 35 psi.. My question is which unit is causing air not to build up?.. Air compressor or being foot brake pedal plunge is frozen it’s just releasing air constantly?.. Any ideas?

After your done doing that (foot valve needs replaced anyway and dryer should be done.) and problem is still there, I’d check unloader valves in the head of the compressor.  Depending on what compressor you have. Being it’s a new truck to you those tanks may have never been drained so you can’t just say compressor. Most of the time those automatic drains don’t work. 

Edited by Onyx610